how long do the peepers have to stay on?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
I have a question - one of my gals had to be away from the flock because of a soft-tissue injury. Every time I put her back in they would attack her even after I had her in the same run but protected by a barrier. As soon as I removed the barrier they would attack her again. Last night I put pinless peepers on the two offenders, the main mean-girl tried to attack her a few times but soon realized it wasn't working because my victim ran away and the bully couldn't catch her. My question - today they seem to all be living happily. Last night nobody pushed her off her spot on the roost like they were doing before. Once they seem to really not be going at her anymore - even if it is just a few days - can I take them off or will they revert to attacking her again??

I've had pinless peepers on one of my hens for a few months now. She attacks another chicken if I remove them, and her eggs are too tasty to cull her. So, the pinless peepers will stay on her. She doesn't seem too mind at all and I keep checking on her, making sure she isin't bleeding or in pain from them. But in your case, I would wait at least a week, like sourland said. Give her time to get her place back in the flock. And if she gets bullied after a week, don't hesitate to put those peepers back on the bullies

awesome advice from both of you - I will do! I feel bad because it is so stinkin' hot here and if I had plastic things shoved up my nose I would be miserable. But then again, I wouldn't attack my sister so there ya have it!

I have a question - one of my gals had to be away from the flock because of a soft-tissue injury. Every time I put her back in they would attack her even after I had her in the same run but protected by a barrier. As soon as I removed the barrier they would attack her again. Last night I put pinless peepers on the two offenders, the main mean-girl tried to attack her a few times but soon realized it wasn't working because my victim ran away and the bully couldn't catch her. My question - today they seem to all be living happily. Last night nobody pushed her off her spot on the roost like they were doing before. Once they seem to really not be going at her anymore - even if it is just a few days - can I take them off or will they revert to attacking her again??
Butternut got out on good behavior. She’s been protecting Nelly from Fancy Pants the bully

The longest I've kept Pinless Peepers on a hen was 3 weeks. She was feather picking.
The shortest was 1 week for the same behavior from a different hen.

If your hen goes back to attacking after a week, put them back on. GC

I think the suggested length is 2 weeks at a time. Personally if it's only one or two hens attacking her I would put her back with the rest of the flock. I'd then remove them 2 for a few weeks to knock them down in the pecking order.

Any brand that you would recommend for pinless peepers?. Also I recently separated the main bully in a dog crate in my house. It is very cold out and so wonder best way to reintroduce the hen from inside to outside without too much stress. She has been away from rest of the crew for one day only and thought I'd keep her away a bit longer.. any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom