how long do we waite before giving up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickie momma di, Mar 7, 2009.

1. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Songster

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    hi everyone. i have a question i hope someone can answer. how long should we hold out hope for? today is day 22 and only one pip and quiet. [​IMG] on day 20 one did hatch but somehow ended up with a twisted neck when i got home from work. very sad. she still won't leave the nest but what do we do if there arnt any good eggs? i mean will she just give up? or will she remain broody? should i take the eggs out tomorrow if we don't see anything happening?

2. Eggs have been known to hatch as late as day 26 in rare cases. I would probably suggest going out to the coop at night and candeling if they are under a broody hen. If you see movement in the eggs, leave em.

3. chickie momma di

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    thanks. so we caan still have hope. we want this so badly for gracie. even though things aren't going her way she is such a good momma.

4. for reference... I personally do not take eggs out of the incubator until at least day 24, I'd rather be sure than waste a potential showbird.

5. chickie momma di

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    hi hay that pulletts de cajin video is awsome!!!! what pretty birds you have. [​IMG]

we are gonna have to give her a few more days and keep our fingers crossed. [​IMG]

i wish we knew of a hatchery thats not more than a half day ride from us where we could get her a chick if this doesn't work out. you don't know of one do you? [​IMG]

the waiting is killing me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by