How long does feed stay good?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
I am about to move chicks into the coop with my layers so I'll switch everyone over to flock raiser. I have about 50 lb of layer feed in my feed container. I assume the babies won't be laying until March or so. Will it go bad by then?

I like to use feed up within two months of it's mill date. It's probably okay after that time, but I'm not willing to have it around longer.
Mary
March is a long time from now! What's the mill date on it? Give it to someone who will use it sooner, or pitch it!

I am about to move chicks into the coop with my layers so I'll switch everyone over to flock raiser. I have about 50 lb of layer feed in my feed container. I assume the babies won't be laying until March or so. Will it go bad by then?

If you keep it dry, it will not "go bad" in the sense of being actually dangerous for them to eat.

But it might lose some nutrients, so if they eat only that feed for a lengthy time, they might have problems.

One way to use up some of the layer feed sooner:
Make a wet mash with some of it (add water, let it sit for a minute or two to absorb the water.)
Chickens usually love it that way, and layers will usually chase the chicks away while they are eating, so the chicks will get little or none of it. (And a small amount won't hurt the chicks anyway. You are right not to feed the chicks a large amount of layer feed, but an occasional bite will do no harm.)

I like to use feed up within two months of it's mill date. It's probably okay after that time, but I'm not willing to have it around longer.
Mary
March is a long time from now! What's the mill date on it? Give it to someone who will use it sooner, or pitch it!

I don't know the mill date. I dump my bags into a big sealed container to keep other critters from helping themselves.

I had feed go bad at 5 months past mill date stored in my house at room temperature.
Egg production and feed consumption dropped drastically.
I now buy feed within 2 months of mill date and use within 2 months.
If you store feed outside it will spoil sooner. GC

I'm in that boat at the moment too. Almost got through the layer feed before the chicks moved in with the flock, but had maybe 20% of a bag left. Now that the chicks are POL pullets, I'm ready to use it up by mixing it with the remaining all flock that they've been eating. I also offer fermented grower on the side. So the other feeds should hopefully help offset any nutritional loss in the layer.

I keep all my feed in an insulated garage so it keeps pretty well.

Mine is in a sealed feed bin in a shed. Does that count as outside or in? It's not climate control but it's also not exposed to elements.
In cold and damp conditions, feed can get moldy.

During summer, hot, humid weather will degrade vitamins and essential fatty acids, break down pellets and promote bug infestation.

Feed stored under changing day and night temperatures and humid conditions will degrade quickly, as soon as 3 weeks in my experience inside a galvanized feeder.
20201114_095250_resized.jpg

I no longer keep my feeders filled during hot humid or cold damp conditions. I let them get nearly empty before refilling and clean as needed.
20201115_172215_resized.jpg

A current bag of feed stored in my house near the back door.
I keep a large coffee container of feed (holds nearly 4 lbs) in a storage area of my coops.
20200612_195245_resized.jpg

My coops are only 30 feet away and I only have 8 chickens, so this works for me.
20201113_093031_resized.jpg

A 50 lb bag lasts about a month during winter season and up to 7 weeks during the summer. GC

Back
Top Bottom