How long does integration take?

Liz-6

Chirping
Mar 1, 2022
Chester County, PA
I have four 14 week old pullets raised together since a few days old. Three weeks ago I added two pullets who are about two weeks younger. My coup is 3x7’ and my run is 6x11. So far my orig four are still acting territorial, chasing the two newbies and not accepting them into their flock. It’s not brutal, but the poor girls are kept on edge much of the time. I let them all out to range together when I can, but they are mostly confined in the coup/run. Will the situation improve with time, or could they always reject these two newcomers? Orig. flock a Wyandotte, Sussex, austrolorp, and berenvelder. Newbies are Easter eggers.

Place items in your run that will block direct eyesight, give the youngers a place to hide behind. It can be simple, like a few pieces of plywood or pallets leaned up, an old table, I'm sure you get the idea. It looks trashy but effective. Tables or an old bench are nice at giving more vertical space.
Maybe consider an extra feeder and waterer. Lots of trouble can come from defending their food.

My last integration didnt go well-my barnevelder and Welsummer wouldnt even leave the coop so I have two flocks now-one of very docile birds and a special needs bird and one of my original flock with the tougher of the new girls. Its not ideal but I have two runs and two coops so its working for now

Integration is challenging. Are your coops adjacent? The one we did last year involved 7 original flock and 5 new, all around the same age. We housed them with another smaller roosting coop, with a fence in common. After maybe 3 weeks, we removed the fence and let them work out the details. I also had put 2 nesting boxes in the smaller coop, the original one has 5. Well, wouldn't you know it, the original girls took a liking to laying in the new boxes. Laying decreased for a few weeks until they worked it out.

Fast forward to present. New Sapphire Gems 15.5 wk old 4 pullets and one cockerel. The two sides of the run have a fence in common. Younger girls are still chased around when they free-range. However, Mr.Cockerel is making his male prowess known and is mounting most of the girls..The 2 Welsummers are just a little bigger than him, and they still chase him (and he runs) but probably not for long. I'll probably remove the barrier in another month or so after the pullets begin laying. Good luck with yours.

Is it at all possible to separate the two newbies in a way that they can see and be seen by the established flock, but can't mingle physically? This is called "see-don't-touch," and if you can arrange it, you should be able to peacefully integrate the new birds in about two weeks. Maybe the new birds could temporarily sleep in a dog crate or some such at night until they are ready to mingle?

Place scratch along the barrier between them once or twice a day so they can snack beak to beak and get acquainted in a peaceful manner.

After two weeks of living side by side, you should be able to open the barrier that separates them and have no problems.

I have four 14 week old pullets raised together since a few days old. Three weeks ago I added two pullets who are about two weeks younger. My coup is 3x7’ and my run is 6x11. So far my orig four are still acting territorial, chasing the two newbies and not accepting them into their flock. It’s not brutal, but the poor girls are kept on edge much of the time. I let them all out to range together when I can, but they are mostly confined in the coup/run. Will the situation improve with time, or could they always reject these two newcomers? Orig. flock a Wyandotte, Sussex, austrolorp, and berenvelder. Newbies are Easter eggers.
You need more space, IMO.
Coop is barely big enough for the 4, winter may be tough, let alone adding 2 more.
How did you add them?

Back
Top Bottom