1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take a quail egg to hatch???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tumra, Jul 3, 2009.

1. tumra

tumra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Sydney
    Im currently on day 17 of incubation and this morning i have a number of eggs that are showing cracks in the shell. It is about 2pm and the eggs dont seem to be cracking any further. I haven't had any chicks hatch yet but i was wondering is it normal for quail eggs to take this long to hatch or is there something wrong? I was going to leave it till tomorrow afternoon to start hatching the eggs by hand because i have had problems previously with my hatch rate.

Thanks

Anthony

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    18 days, so if your humidity's good and stable (above 60), let them move at thier pace, they're right on time.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, they normally pop out pretty fast, but a lot of people are reporting them taking days to hatch. I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't see any action.

4. tumra

tumra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Sydney
    Im struggling to get the humidity up at the moment. Its the middle of winter and i can only get 50% humidity here. I will leave them till tomorrow and hopefully they will hatch.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Put a sheet of wet paper towel in there, that will bring the humidity up pretty good. [​IMG]

6. Sprints54

Sprints54 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi I'm having a similar issue I had bobwhite eggs start to hatch yesterday around 8pm and today they haven't progressed any more some have the cracks from the beaks trying to break through but haven't and one actually has a gap all the way around but the top won't come off I guess

7. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    It can take them a while, and if they are jumbos, more prone to be too big to turn to pip properly.

8. Sprints54

Sprints54 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    They're not supposed to be jumbo bobwhites and the eggs are small

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It can take 30 hours from pip to hatch and I've seen longer.

10. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Even jumbo bob eggs are still tiny. I have as very surprised at the difference between them and the coturnix eggs being so much bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by