1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take a silkie roo to "grow out?"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tanichca, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Hi! I have a partridge silkie rooster, about 10 months old... hasnt crowed yet, hasnt tried mating, his crest is still coming in. I have seen pictures of the parent stock (BYCer Mbrobbins' birds) but he still doesnt look much like his dad/siblings... so, how long does it take a silkie roo to reach the "adult-looking" stage? Thanks in advance! (Sorry, no pics right now... Dad took the camera with him when he took my brothers to the park!)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, every bird is different so some early starters look like big ol boys at 8 months, some take 18 months.

But no crow... are you sure it is not a girl?

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Wow, 18 months?

Pretty danged sure... he has a HUGE walnut comb, really dark... streamers and the roo feathers in the tail.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had a male that was around 12 months before he started crowing, mating, etc. Some silkies can take a while to fully mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by