1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take after chicks hatch for hen to start laying again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chuckzoo, May 25, 2011.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I plan to remove the chicks from the hen at 5 weeks of age. How long will it take for her to stat laying again?

2. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    When they are old enough to defend for themselves about 5-6 weeks old.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Each hen is different.

I let my broodies wean their chicks, I do not take them away - but that is just me [​IMG]

I have hens who start laying at the 3 week mark - still caring for their chicks, and those who start laying at 6 weeks on out and still care for their chicks.

I also have a hen who lays at 3 weeks and starts to wean her chicks then - works fine in summer but is really rough on the chicks and me in the winter.

1 person likes this.
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My mamas have all quit mothering around 4 weeks, and started laying within a week or two after. I've read of their mothering a lot longer than this, just haven't seen it. But from what I read, if you remove the chicks, the mama will get quite upset and search for them, and I would think that would cause them not to lay for a while. Maybe your hen will stop mothering on her own by 5 weeks.

5. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I did not know that and am glad you told me . What should I be looking for to indicate that she has stopped mothering

6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Last fall I had a hen in her own mini-coop with her chicks for about 8 weeks before reintroducing her with only a couple keeper chicks to the main flock. She didn't lay all 8 weeks. Since she went in with many other layers, I can't really say when her laying began again.

7. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I plan to cordan her off in a section of the run with a nesting box while she is hatching. I don't want the other 3 hens forgeting about her and then have problems when I try to re-introduce her to her flockmates.

8. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    My hen started laying eggs when her chicks were about 6 weeks old. She actually went broody again with them still with her! She had just started ignoring them I guess. Even though I never once saw her peck them, and they stole food from her all the time. Such a good momma [​IMG]

9. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:I did not know that and am glad you told me . What should I be looking for to indicate that she has stopped mothering

When she stops "feeding" them and kinda just goes her own way. Some peck their babies to wean them so they start leaving her alone, but my broody just ignored them.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My broody was laying while still caring for the babies. She started laying again around 4-5 weeks after they hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by