How long does it take blackjack 57 to dry?

No, it will not make the coop hotter. Do your second coat tomorrow, so it can cure and you can get your chicks in there. Turn the can upside down tonight and it will be easier to stir.
I am going to go turn it upside down now, thanks for that info. I definitely need to get them in the coop soon, they are in a makeshift shelter under the raised coop with shavings right now but the run is pretty safe. I'll also be doing the ventilation tomorrow evening. I'm thinking of using the piece you put on the end of a drill to make doorknob holes for some ventilation covered with hardware cloth. Along with some small holes along the roof and floor.

it seems they are having trouble getting the hang of the heating plate, so I keep putting them back under it when they are chirping loud.
I assume it works similarly to a Mama Heating Pad cave. If the chicks won't stay in, it is too hot. If they won't come out, it is too cold. If they come and go, it is JUST right.

And a few holes in between covered with hardware cloth?
No need for intermediate holes though operable windows with 1/2" hardware cloth covering the opening are good. Chickens like light and they can be opened in the summer.
I guess I got better at it!
Things are usually easier the second time around. Learning is good :)

Do you have any pics of your coop that you could post. Door knob size holes won't do much for ventilation. Maybe we could suggest some better ideas.
I agree. I believe the OP said she read the thread (article?) on ventilation. Better off with bigger openings some inches above shavings/straw/whatever-you-have-on-the-floor level. And similar or ridge vents up top. Some people use operable air duct registers, choose long and narrow. Easy enough to cut the opening with a jigsaw or reciprocating saw. Make sure they are covered with 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside.

I assume it works similarly to a Mama Heating Pad cave. If the chicks won't stay in, it is too hot. If they won't come out, it is too cold. If they come and go, it is JUST right.

No need for intermediate holes though operable windows with 1/2" hardware cloth covering the opening are good. Chickens like light and they can be opened in the summer.

Things are usually easier the second time around. Learning is good :)

I agree. I believe the OP said she read the thread (article?) on ventilation. Better off with bigger openings some inches above shavings/straw/whatever-you-have-on-the-floor level. And similar or ridge vents up top. Some people use operable air duct registers, choose long and narrow. Easy enough to cut the opening with a jigsaw or reciprocating saw. Make sure they are covered with 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside.
It is a premier 1 heating plate, they are doing better with it now but a few are still having a hard time figuring out that's where the heat is. Most of them come and go but a few are weary to go under it. I have the back higher than the front so the smaller chicks can get the heat they need and bigger ones too. At first I did have it pretty low because In pictures of other people's they always looked low but pictures can be deceiving. I would be curious to know about how high/low other people who use these keep them for roughly 3 day old chicks? The long skinny floor vents is a great idea. I think I'll have to do that. Thanks for that idea.

Back
Top Bottom