How long does it take for a chicken to actually lay the egg?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
One of our EEs got into a nest today and just stayed there. I probably watched for 5-10 min at most before I went back in the house. DS was worried that she is just in there to be in there, and not to lay. So when they go in the nest (keeping in mind they are 5 month old pullets) how long do they take to get the egg out? We've only gotten 1 green egg and our other EE has a much redder comb so I assumed she was the one to lay it. The one who is sitting in the box today has a paler comb.

I think it really varies by chicken. I have a couple who go in, lay and come back out with 40 minutes. Then I have a couple who like to make a big production, arrange every piece of pine shaving perfectly, and it takes them over an hour. But new layers do take a bit longer.

oh good. So the 5-10 minutes wasn't nearly long enough.
lol.png

Depends on the individual hen and when they respond to the "urge". I have hens that sit in the nestbox for hours before the egg comes and others that are quick about it...get in, lay the egg, get out.

I was surprised how long it took for them to lay when they first started. Early on it took 45 minutes to an hour. Now, it might take 30 minutes. Sometimes they will sit for a really long time in the nest and to top it off, they don't lay an egg!

My Agnes, JG, just laid her first egg last friday. The very next day, I was doing the weekly cleaning of the coop, and evidently I wasn't finishing fast enough for her. She was following me into the run, jumping up into the coop--before I could get the ramp put back, and chasing me out before I finished adding the fresh wood shavings. She shoo-ed me out, I closed the door, and she sat there for over 45 minutes. I didn't time her exactly, but it was, all told, close to an hour. When I went to find the egg, it was dry but still warm. So, answer is: for a 5 1/2 month old JG, on day number 2, it takes about an hour.

mm

Last edited:
DS went out about 15 minutes ago and there was a perfect tiny green egg in the nest box. So apparently this egg is from Juliet but I thought the one the other day was from Stella, just based on her comb color. Maybe they're both laying now. At any rate it was less than an hour total, I think.
smile.png

Mine range from 15 min to hour +. Got 2 RIRs that do a drive-thru egglay, just jump in a box and get right to it and as soon as its out, back out the door they go. Never even try to sit, roll even say hello to it.Then I got a Barred and a Buff that think that they are at a day spa. But on average 30/40 minutes for most

Back
Top Bottom