How long does it take for a fresh egg to start stinkin up the joint?

Chamelle

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Springfield, OR
I got a dozen eggs from someone on ebay. Within 2 or 3 days, my incubator started smelling kind of foul, so I did the sniff test and found a stinky egg weeping. I removed it, and when I candled on day 7 another two eggs were stinky. There are two more that I can't really tell for sure. They kind of have a funk about them, but its not strong, and I'm thinking maybe some of the stink from the other two rubbed off.

I'm wondering if is that reasonable, or did I get sent eggs that weren't fresh. I don't want to contact the seller with this issue if this is something that just happens sometimes.

Thanks!

Cham

Hi Cham. Unfortunately you were sent bad eggs from the get-go unless tehy got extremely scrambled during shipment. But my money is on a shady sell.....

Hopefully, they're not Buttercup eggs?
hu.gif

<sigh> Thats what I was afraid of.

No buttercups! Why do you ask? Do they get stinky fast?

The eggs are some combination of marans, welsummer, and barnevelder. It worries me that they are so difficult for me to candle. I don't want to mess with them much, but I feel like I should really be sniffing them pretty frequently. I also have a dozen of mothergooses welsummers in there, and would be sick if I had an exploding egg ruin that hatch. (6 of those have what might be a dark spot/veining, and 6 are just TOO dark, I can't tell... so excited!)

I wonder if I should contact the ebay guy. He did send extras. I was really hoping for the barnevelders especially. (
fl.gif
for barneys)

Ohhh... I remember that!! That really was gross! I remember people saying to maybe give him the benefit of the doubt, the 4/5 could be 5/4. And maybe USPS were really rough.... you were like "pppft! whatever! they were ROTTEN!"

I got just a tiny little taste of that (ewww! i mean sniff) with mine.

Did you get yours replaced?

Back
Top Bottom