How long does it take for a pipped quail egg to hatch?

HATCHERMAN11

Chirping
May 30, 2019
Hello! I have 8 quail eggs in lockdown. Today is day 17 but I’m going over to day 18 in just a few hours. Only one egg has pipped so far, it hasn’t made any progress since i first spotted the pip earlier today in the morning. How long will it take before he’s out and when will the other eggs pip? I’m getting a bit worried since I’ve read that coturnix quail eggs usually pip around mid day 16 - early day 17. Also I haven’t heard any chirping. Do they chirp when they have pipped or do they start chirping when they have hatched. I would be so glad if anyone could help me! :):)
4DDEC060-9950-42F7-B542-6BE589000685.jpeg

It can take up to 24 hours from pip to zip. Give it time.

Since your hatch is running late, I'm going to guess that your temperature was a bit low. Do you have extra calibrated thermometers inside your incubator? Never trust the reading on the incubator itself.

It can take up to 24 hours from pip to zip. Give it time.

Since your hatch is running late, I'm going to guess that your temperature was a bit low. Do you have extra calibrated thermometers inside your incubator? Never trust the reading on the incubator itself.

I have two extra thermometers in the incubator. They’re both reading about 0.1- 0.2 degrees off but that wouldn’t make a huge difference right? It’s currently running at 37.6 C. One thermometer shows 37.5 C and the other 37.4 C

I have two extra thermometers in the incubator. They’re both reading about 0.1- 0.2 degrees off but that wouldn’t make a huge difference right? It’s currently running at 37.6 C. One thermometer shows 37.5 C and the other 37.4 C
Are they calibrated? Have you tested them? .1 - .2 degrees C could indeed make a difference.

Are they calibrated? Have you tested them? .1 - .2 degrees C could indeed make a difference.
I haven’t calibrated them, is it possible to do that with digital thermometers? And also, after how long should I assist the chick if it hasn’t hatched on it’s own? Many thanks in advance

I haven’t calibrated them, is it possible to do that with digital thermometers? And also, after how long should I assist the chick if it hasn’t hatched on it’s own? Many thanks in advance
I depends on the thermometer. If they have a sensor that you can put into ice water (crushed ice, let sit for about 5-10 minutes to get t freezing temperature), then you can tell how much they're off by.

Here's an article on assisting. Be aware that if a chick is having problems hatching, it may be for good reason. If you choose to assist, you may still have to cull the chick. The choice is yours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Hello! I have 8 quail eggs in lockdown. Today is day 17 but I’m going over to day 18 in just a few hours. Only one egg has pipped so far, it hasn’t made any progress since i first spotted the pip earlier today in the morning. How long will it take before he’s out and when will the other eggs pip? I’m getting a bit worried since I’ve read that coturnix quail eggs usually pip around mid day 16 - early day 17. Also I haven’t heard any chirping. Do they chirp when they have pipped or do they start chirping when they have hatched. I would be so glad if anyone could help me! :):)View attachment 2414435
Walk away.
Leave them alone.
No they don't really chirp like chicken chicks.
Do not assist anything at this time.

Wow!! The first quail just hatched right on day 18 and it was not from the egg that had pipped in fact another one. One hour ago it was just an egg without a pip or anything and when i came to look in the incubator i saw this tiny tiny little chick. I’m so amazed cuz it hatched from a supermarket egg!!

Attachments

• F2825A08-3F5F-48C0-A183-4B3BB27BAF33.jpeg
    F2825A08-3F5F-48C0-A183-4B3BB27BAF33.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom