How Long Does It Take To Build A Coop For 8 Chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amitist, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Hi! I was thinking of building a coop and I need to know how long it would take to build a coop for 8 chickens with 2-4 people. I was think of making the good ole' square type of coop and a moderately big run. Thanks!

-Amitist

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    It sort of depends on how experienced the people are- if they have built things before, you could probably knock it out in a weekend if you had all the materials and equipment ready.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Totally agree with above... And NO beer until the day's work is done...beer and power tools are not a good combo. [​IMG]

4. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks for the advise [​IMG]

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Only 8 chickens.....wait until the "chicken fever" hits....[​IMG]

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Also depends on how much time you have to dedicate to it. We are building our coop for 8 and it's almost been 8 weeks now...just because I have to wait until 6 to work on it, and it's not on our current property, but the one we're moving to. VERY annoying [​IMG]. The chicks are in an intermediate coop in my backyard though, which is a converted tool shed, so I'm happy and they're happy until it's all done so...no rush [​IMG]

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Quote:That's what I was thinking! Might as well build it bigger now - it's easier than trying to add on later... [​IMG]

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    My 8'x7' coop took me 9 weeks, working on Saturdays by myself. It is dirt floor, combo hardware cloth and plywood with a tin roof. I have 2 hens and will get a few more in the spring which should give time to build a hardware cloth covered run.

9. dominiker

dominiker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Me and my grandaddy built a 6 by 8 coop and it took us about a month.

10. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    With two supervisors, one spectator and one person, who knows what he is doing, about 6 hours.Oh yeah, don't forget a case of beer.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by