How long does it take....?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willem81, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Willem81

Willem81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    I recently adopted some chickies that were being picked on in their flock and two of them are missing a lot of feathers. Picking no longer happens, my girls took them in and let them be. I have had them for about 2 weeks now.. and not much sign of the feathers coming back.. I am just wondering how long it will take for them to get their feathers back, as it is getting COLD here in Colorado... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Yea, I've got several hens missing feathers, too (rowdy roo). From what I know the feathers won't be replaced until they go through a molt. They molt every 18 months or so. Hopefully before winter, huh. At least I'm in Arkansas where winters are usually fairly mild. Good Luck.

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    one of my hens lost a lot of feathers (to many roo's) got rid of the extra roosters 3 weeks ago and her feathers are starting to come back now. she first looked very fluffy around her bare spot, then I noticed the shafts had new growth. good luck with yours. We live in Michigan and I think she will be good before it gets to cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by