How long does the pecking order take?

well take her away from them for a few days and then put her back in and she will be the bottom hen unless she beats the blind one up again

:-/ I don't have any place to put her... plus I think she would just keep beating up Penny (semi-blind). And the other dominant one would start all over again, beating her up. Thanks for the advice though

Has there been blood, or just lots of pecking and chasing? If no blood, just ignore it, no matter how tough it might be to watch. As someone before mentioned, pecking order is a constantly evolving thing. It may settle down some, but it can take time.

My girls' pecking order leveled out somewhat. My alpha female initially asserted herself a lot. Now she virtually never goes at the others. When they're eating and she thinks one is too close she gives a brief guttural growl and they dart away. Every now and then she grabs them by the comb, wattle or ear lobe. That seems to be all she needs to do to maintain her position. The others give and get a little but not too bad. Now and then I find one with a little blood on their comb from a bite. I don't like it but I have to remind myself that it is instinct and they are not 'being mean'. As long as none of them get really injured beyond a bite on the comb here and there I let them be.

All that being said, I had a sick barred rock that we had to take indoors to treat. She started feeling better, she was probably 60%, her comb and wattles were still rather pale. We tried to reintroduce her to the flock (2 other Brd Rocks and 3 Rhodies). One of the Rocks (Alice) went at her a little but then the alpha female (a Rhodie named Chico) came over and at first looked very intently at her. Her beak was literally 1cm awy from Brucie (the ill Rock) and then she grabbed her by the wattle. I was right there so I swatted her away but she became intent on Brucie and tried to flog her so I grounded her while my son led Brucie away and Chico tried rather ferociously to get away from me and go for her...she did not take her eyes off her. I decided it was premature to try beinging Brucie back so I took her back home. But I never saw behavior like that. I am convinced that had I left Brucie in the run she would have been killed.

I brought her back to the run the next day, she was probably 80+%. Still a little pale but much better. A couple of the girls chased her around but Chico left her alone. That was enough for me, I knew then the rest would sort itself out and it has.

Quote:
Exactly! Well written, husbandry based response.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom