How long for broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Egghead_Jr, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    How long would you keep a splint on chickens broken leg? I'm thinking around 3 weeks but then again chickens mend fast so am wondering from your experience how long is recommended. I need to separate housing as poor Cordon is now low man in his harem. All was well (as well as a broken leg would be) keeping him in coop with food and water next to him but today, 5 days after incident, he was up for venturing down into pen area so let him be. Two hours later came back to see he'd been pummeled all over his face. So my option is to kennel the two aggressive production reds for a week, that would only give them a 2.5X3' area (I'd wrap 3 sides and top with tarp) or try and work out garage space with neighbors to kennel him there if mending time is longer than I'm guessing.

I just put him in a play house with straw in view of his girls. Wondering how long I should keep the bandage on? This will aid me in determining the housing situation as he's on the mend.

Thanks

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I'm not sure about chickens...Our dog broke her front leg last week and the vet is keeping it splinted for 6-8 weeks.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Where is the break?

4. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The break was right at the joint. Complete separation of the hock. Not a good spot, we splinted first night then purchased gauze and flex tape in morning; wrapped gauze to pad and hold in place then splinted continuing gauze then flex tape.

5. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Any thoughts? So far there is a reply for canine , around 6 weeks, and on a post last week a reply of "took off splint too soon."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by