How long for broken leg?

Egghead_Jr

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
How long would you keep a splint on chickens broken leg? I'm thinking around 3 weeks but then again chickens mend fast so am wondering from your experience how long is recommended. I need to separate housing as poor Cordon is now low man in his harem. All was well (as well as a broken leg would be) keeping him in coop with food and water next to him but today, 5 days after incident, he was up for venturing down into pen area so let him be. Two hours later came back to see he'd been pummeled all over his face. So my option is to kennel the two aggressive production reds for a week, that would only give them a 2.5X3' area (I'd wrap 3 sides and top with tarp) or try and work out garage space with neighbors to kennel him there if mending time is longer than I'm guessing.

I just put him in a play house with straw in view of his girls. Wondering how long I should keep the bandage on? This will aid me in determining the housing situation as he's on the mend.

Thanks

The break was right at the joint. Complete separation of the hock. Not a good spot, we splinted first night then purchased gauze and flex tape in morning; wrapped gauze to pad and hold in place then splinted continuing gauze then flex tape.

Any thoughts? So far there is a reply for canine , around 6 weeks, and on a post last week a reply of "took off splint too soon."

Back
Top Bottom