How long for feathers to grow back?

rosawoodsii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
I have a hen that's missing a LOT of feathers. First there was the rooster who practically denuded her, and then there was a raccoon attack that she had to recover from, 2 weeks ago. She's doing fine now, separated from everyone, and I bring her in every night. However, the weather is starting to get cold. We're due for frost tonight. Pretty soon she'll be jumping out of the big box I have her in, and I won't be able to keep her in at night, and it'll be getting cold during the day, too. I really do not want her to go back in with the other chickens, since they'll probably peck her unmercifully. How long does is usulaly take for feathers to grow back?

Sometimes it can take quite a while. We have a few hens that have been missing feathers most of the summer. But they are finally going through their molt so feathers are starting to come back in. You might have to keep her seperated in her own pen, maybe with another mellow girl for company until she gets her feathers back. Another possibility is to get a saddle for her. We don't like to use saddles because they have a tendency to hide bugs but it would be an option to keep her from getting worse if she has to be out with the others.

I just realized I must have forgotten to subscribe to this thread, and never got your reply until now. I do have a chicken saddle for her, and thought I might have to use it. My concern is possible chafing around her wing attachment area. In addition, she's bare all the way from midback, down her tail, and her entire backside. I'm a bit concerned that she'll be cold without other chickens to keep her warm.

I have a hen that has the same problem exactly! She has been pretty much bald all along her backside since August . I'm also worried about her not getting feathers in time for our cold...hopefully this changes soon.

Back
Top Bottom