How Long For Wing Feathers to Grow Back?

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
My peahen's wing has been taped to heal by a vet for 2 months. I took the tape off today. I realize now the feathers shouldn't have been cut off but neighbor with birds suggested it so he and I did one...the vet did the other. How long will it take for her to shed these cut feathers and grow new ones? They were cut about as short as one could get them. Thanks.

What are you referring too? The wing feathers being cut? I should have said they didn't need to be cut....her wing could have been taped with them intact but I didn't know at the time we did it I was going to take her to a vet. Our concern was the weight on that broken wing. People were telling me to just leave it alone...it would heal on it's own however I was also told it was to bad of a break to heal on it's own. I had called around and vets wanted a lot of money to deal with the broken wing. When I talked with my vet and he agreed to help for the office call price ($45) I took her in. OR: are you referring to something else? Thanks.

What are you referring too? I was referring to my answer on the other post. The wing feathers being cut? No, I probable would have done the same. It seems like you have a plan and that is good. Best of luck with her.

She is one happy peahen having that tape off. She's preening all day and really seems more energetic. I'm surprised I haven't seen her spreading her wings and trying to do that little "jump/fly in place" exercise but haven't been watching her all the time so maybe she has. I noticed when we took the tape off she was so light in weight. She's been eating well and every day she gets vegs and/or fruit and also meal worms once in a while. I wonder if she feels underweight because the wing feathers are cut off. You wouldn't think they weigh much but maybe they do. This has been quite a learning experience for me and seeing what happens now only adds to it. I'm happy I didn't put her down. Some suggestions were to leave it alone to heal by itself .... let nature take it's course. I wonder if it would have healed by itself? For all I know the vet may have not set the wing properly before taping and I made the wrong decision taking her to him. Having animals makes me ponder the thought of wishing I'd gone to Vet school myself.

Back
Top Bottom