How long from internal pip to external pip and then hatch? UPDATED

Well, I got home from work, and .. it's a girl!

The second egg appears to be externally pipped -- big hole that appears to originate from the inside. But, no sign of a beak in the air space or any noise coming from it. I wonder if it is possible turned the wrong way in the egg. I don't know, I'll just keep watching it.

I'll try to get a picture later - can't find my stupid SD card right now, and I've got a ton of chores to do before dark, plus there are storms coming, and I was held up almost an hour after I got home calling around trying to find a pharmacy that has a certain prescription item.

I'm trying to think of an appropriate name -- I was checking the passanger manifesto from the Mayflower -- my family is descended from one of the Mayflower Pilgrims, John Howland, so I thought it would be neat to name any of these birds after those Pilgrims who were so important in American history.

Pics later, after I find the stupid memory card.

Congratulations!!! I don't worry too much if they have an airhole
smile.png

I also spritz mine after checking on them to make sure the membrane doesn't dry out.

Denninmi

Waiting for some good news after you come home from work. Wishing you best of luck and thank you for the kind comments
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Pete
wink.png

Well, the second egg didn't make it. It was an external pip, and in fact, by Saturday morning, the bird had actually broken a small piece off the egg shell over the pip, and its beak was sticking out of the hole. But, it wasn't moving or making any sounds. I couldn't detect any movement inside of there with candling, either.

I waited until last evening to look, because I didn't want to do anything to harm it IF it were still somehow alive. Unfortunately, it wasn't - dead in the shell, with a large unabsorbed yolk.

It seems to have pipped somewhat in the wrong spot -- the pip was almost at the "equator" of the egg, lower than it really should be.

So, out of my first batch of eggs, I only have one successful hatch. I still have the final egg in there, but have seen no movement or change in days. I'm going to let it hang in there until this evening, and then if I see nothing, will do a brief eggtopsy and see what happened.

I have 4 eggs in batch #2. One of them is really weird and I think it won't make it, if not dead already -- it is detached and sloshes around inside. We'll see what happens.

But, I do have this little girl:

101_1477.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that's adorable and congratulations on hatching that cutie
thumbsup.gif

A shame about the other egg but sometimes its just not meant to be. I'll bet your new knowledge sets you in a good position for future eggs -WELL DONE
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

dang it work!! me too....
I try to set eggs so they hatch on the weekend but that's never really reliable, is it??

gotta go to work to afford scratch feed and cracked corn for the Canada visitors.

I think I'm going to start setting them so that day 21 is a Friday, because watching them externally pip and then waiting and waiting and waiting is pure torture!!! (4 externally pipped right now, and can't stand it!!!!)
yippiechickie.gif
Come on little chickies!!!! Go Go Go!!!!

Hey, my Sebbie egg is on day 27.5 and internally pipped yesterday about 7, and by midnight was pipped. It is doing a lot of squirming and talking whenever I talk. Do you think it will hatch by tomorrow morning?

Back
Top Bottom