How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens? - OLD

How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

• Under 6 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

• 1 Year

• 2 Years

• 3 Years

• 4 Years

• 5 Years

• 6 Years

• 7 Years

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8 Years

• 9 Years

• 10 Years

• 11 - 15 Years

• 15 - 20 Years

• Over 20 Years

• No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We jumped in with both feet in May, and God willing we hope to continue while we have breath. We are completely hooked.
yippiechickie.gif

I been raising chickens four years now,I started with two hens and one rooster,Wanted to have fresh eggs ,before I realized what had happened I had 40 birds,Back down to the 16 I have now and holding there

My Family from Michigan had Chickens from the time I was 3 years old. I have not been without them ever in my entire life, so that makes me a 57 year Vetran of Poultry. I have raised everything from American Bantams to Peafowl and Quail. Currently we have Black Langshans and Light Brahma's along with barred Rock Bantams and a mixed flock of layerw.

We bought our first chicks in April of this year. Started out with 10 chickens. 5 barred rocks and 5 buff orps. This fall we were given 14 more chickens and just this weekend we added 12 more from the Crossroads Poultry show in Indianapolis. Along the way we had to dispatch 2 mean roosters, so we now have 34. 31 hens and 3 roosters.

I came to BYC to read about Ducks actually. On November 7 I will be picking up my freshly hatched Welsh Harlequin Duckling from Metzer farms. I plan to keep her as an indoor duck and family pet. If it all goes well, we will get another. but time will tell on that.

I also have two King Pigeons, they are pets. The first landed in my yard the week my 21 year old cat was dying. Seemed like a sign of something, so we had to keep him. Of course we also had to get him a friend! So the local humane society provided that.

We also have two cats and two giant fish tanks. Oh, and who could forget the human boys. two underage ones, and my husband.

Lindsay
San Mateo, CA
(12 miles south of San Francisco)

This is our first year as a family raising them, but I have been raising them on and off since the 70's. In the mid 70's, my parents were some of the first to raise Auracanas and I was the one who helped raise them from chicks on up. When I was 10 and 11 (1979-1980), I was solely responsible for raising a flock of about 40 broilers for a missonary base we lived on abroad. I raised them from chicks to the pot and some would even fly onto my shoulders when I would go into the coop. My family raised layers for a number of years and I even had a brooder in my bedroom as a teenager (weird I know). I got out of the farm life for a while and now that I have a family of my own, we are back into poltury (sheep and dairy goats too) and my girls are loving it. I am not sure how many years I should put.

Four years this time, but I used to raise chickens for 4H more years ago than I care to count. (I'm now on Social Security, if that gives you a hint!) Still have my 4H poultry project notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom