How long in Solitary Confinement?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aub, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I've put Nugget in Solitary Confinement because she's gone broody. She is a Silkie and was laying like a champ, then bam, nothin'! All she wants' to do is sit in the nest box. I've tried putting a bag of ice under her, she tried to hatch it. I tried locking her out of the coop, But the other girls couldn't get in to lay. So I bought a 24"x24" rabbit cage and put her in it. She is in the shed in her cage. I take her out at night and put her in the coop with the other girls to sleep and take her out after I get the kids off to school. How long do I leave her in the cage?

2. poofball

poofball Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kentucky
    I Put My silkie in cage with wire bottom cage for 4 days she stopped going broody for a while till she layed a new batch of eggs Then she started again .Thats what they do best

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    If you want to use her, the rabbit cage could not be better. That is what I use for all my broodies -

On the other hand, it sounds like you want to break her up - I take the rabbit cage and set it up a few inches on some wood in a coop (If it has a solid bottom, flip it upside down so she is standing on the wire floor) so that air will flow under her. In a week or so she should be back to normal. And provide her feed and water, I wouldn't restrict any of that.

4. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Oh my gosh!! A week in the cage?! My poor little Nugget. Do they just stop being broody on their own or do they need to have some babies first?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It only took 24 hours in a hutch with a wire bottom to cure my silkie.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Some hens are just determined. It can take a very long time. Hope she gives in for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by