how long is a cchicken eggs fertile by the same rooster?

zachbelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Ok so right now I have 3 breeds of hens in with 2 breeds of roosters...All eggs are fertile but if I hatch them there is only a chance I get full blooded chicks...If I separate my say barred rock hens with rir rooster so that I can hatch black sex links, how long will it take before the eggs are what I want them to be? I guess what I'm asking is does the sperm hang around a while and fertilize several eggs or do they have to do the deed daily in order to have fertile eggs?

You will be bests served to wait at least one month after the separation to begin collecting the eggs for hatching and consider them to be of the breeding you want.

Thank you! I thought this was the case but didn't realize it was that long! Thanks so much

Last edited:
Ok so right now I have 3 breeds of hens in with 2 breeds of roosters...All eggs are fertile but if I hatch them there is only a chance I get full blooded chicks...If I separate my say barred rock hens with rir rooster so that I can hatch black sex links, how long will it take before the eggs are what I want them to be? I guess what I'm asking is does the sperm hang around a while and fertilize several eggs or do they have to do the deed daily in order to have fertile eggs?
YOU NEED TO ALLOW TWO WEEKS BUT AS A RULE MINE TAKE ABOUT 7-8 DAYS TO BECOME UNFERTILE IF I REMOVE ALL THE ROOSTERS

Back
Top Bottom