1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long is an egg fresh?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kareng, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Kareng

Kareng Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    California
    We have been waiting for our chickens to start laying and it seemed to be taking a while for some of them. Well that is because a whole bunch of them have been laying in an empty pot outside their pen! My cousin just came in with a good dozen of them!
    So my question is how long does an egg stay fresh enough to eat when it's left outside? I cracked a couple and they seem fine. I can't find an expiration date on a single one!
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    What is your temp outside? They can stay fresh for over 2 weeks if its cold enough.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I can't find an expiration date on a single one!

[​IMG] LOL [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If it has been cool outside they should be fine. I leave my eggs on the counter.

5. Kareng

May 23, 2008
    California
    Can you believe its been in the low 90's this week? That was the main worry. My cousin keeps telling me " it's FOOD, we cant throw them out". I think he's feeling sentimental, he loves those birds!
    Like I said, I cracked two and they seemed fine, I have 18 chickens and three lay in the coop. A few probably aren't laying yet, so 12 could stack up in a couple of days easily in that pot if 6 or 8 chickens were to use the same spot.
    This is new to me, the most chickens I have had is three, and they laid in a tree stump!

Thanks for your quick reply hfs, I appreciate it!
    KG

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You could always cook them up and feed them back to the chickens.

7. Kareng

May 23, 2008
    California
    Thanks for all of your responses, this site and you guys are awesome! Cousin just ate some and seems fine, the eggs looked ok but I'm afraid. I think I may feed the rest to the pigs! Do I want the chickens to get a taste for eggs?

8. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I always take my banty eggs and hardboil them for the chickens.

I cut them in to small pieces, shell and all, and give them to the chickens. They love it!! [​IMG]

I don't think they know they are eating eggs. They haven't started eating the eggs in the nesting box, at least.

Good luck when you feed them the eggs, because it is like a free for all. Stand back!!

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:As long as they are cooked and chopped up, they won't make the connection, really. And, man oh man, do chickens love the taste of eggs! i sometimes scramble some and mix with oatmeal on a cold morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  10. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I have always fed hard-boiled eggs back to my chickens. Cook them and chop them up and the birds won't make the connection.

Never allow them to eat a raw egg that has broken in the coop, as they will likely figure out how delicious those are (yuck) and decide to try them on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by