How long is an egg meant for consumption good?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Mar 18, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can someone tell me how long an un-refrigerated egg, kept in a cool place, like a basement, good for consumption?

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Months. Refrigerated they are good for 6months+. They may not quite taste the same after awhile but they don't go bad and can still be used for cooking. People say they age equal to 1 week in the fridge for every day on the counter at room temp so even on the counter that would make them good for nearly a month. In a cooler place than that it would be somewhere in between fridge and counter.

Some people use the water test where they put the egg in a glass of water and if it floats it's bad. I wonder though if that isn't just because the air cell gets bigger as they age and lose moisture instead of a sign they are going rotten.

3. beektoria

beektoria Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Everett, Wa
    Not rotten but stale. my new chicks like some I have in my fridge that are standing up but not floating. you can cook with them but if I ate eggs, I prob wouldn't eat a floater as scrambled or the like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by