How long is an egg stay edible

Quote:
Only if it's at 99 degrees Fahrenheit or more- as in incubated.
roll.png

I have kept eggs in a basket/bowl on the counter for 2 MONTHS. NO development because it wasn't warm enough. The USA is one of the few countries that does require refrigeration of eggs. Most countries never bother because the eggs don't go bad or develop.

Quote:
Only if the hen sits on it 24/7. As long as the birds aren't setting on them they will be without developing embryos for longer than 8 days. I've eaten refrigerated eggs that were 2- 3 months old and they were fine. If they need to be stored any longer than that, freeze them. Also, it depends on your definition of edible--some people don't like them if the air cell is too large or the yolk flattens out when broken.

Quote:
It

A lot of good eggs have been tosed out due to this method. It really only tells you the air sac is large enough to float it. Sometimes a fresh laid egg will float. I recomend "If it floats crack it into a small bowl and see if it's good."

I date the eggs I sell or give away a month out. People used to buying eggs in the store, I find, are suspicious if I date it longer.

For my use, I use 45 days. But, yes, they will last a lot longer. Over on organicgardening.com there is a study in the discussion forums on various storage methods and lengths of time. Very interesting.

The float test won't say if it's good, only if it has an air pocket, which it gets as it ages. I use the float test to find eggs that will be easiest to peel when I make deviled eggs...

Quote:
It

A lot of good eggs have been tosed out due to this method. It really only tells you the air sac is large enough to float it. Sometimes a fresh laid egg will float. I recomend "If it floats crack it into a small bowl and see if it's good."

I recommend this for any egg
smile.png
Crack in a bowl, put in the dish or bowl it's going to. That way you can get rid of a bad egg before you dump it into your cake mix or what not
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom