how long is food good in feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lilmama, Jun 9, 2010.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Hello,

I have four ladies who are about 3 months old and their feed is in a big stainless steel hanging container. I basically just keep adding food to the feeder (which has a top on it). In other words, it does not ever get fully emptied. Is this ok to do? I was told as long as the feed is dry, it's ok...

Thanks!

2. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    As long as it stays dry it should be Ok .

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Much depends on your climate. Over the years here in Florida I find it best to let the feeder run out a couple of times during the hot/humid parts of the year so I can clean them out. In the cooler, drier times it's not so important. In the winter I fill everything full. In the summer the mash feeder I only fill half-full so that it goes out sooner. Less wasted or spoiled feed this way. A drier climate might not need to do this.

4. Debob

Debob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Mine stays dry in the coop,but I still let it get close to empty abouy every 2 weeks. [​IMG]

5. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Love this board!

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Your adding the new to the top, so the old is getting eaten first, I wouldn't worry about it getting close to empty, just keep filling like normal! If it's getting wet or out in the weather, then that makes a HUGE difference, but if it's inside your doing just fine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by