how long is food good in feeder?

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Hello,

I have four ladies who are about 3 months old and their feed is in a big stainless steel hanging container. I basically just keep adding food to the feeder (which has a top on it). In other words, it does not ever get fully emptied. Is this ok to do? I was told as long as the feed is dry, it's ok...

Thanks!

Much depends on your climate. Over the years here in Florida I find it best to let the feeder run out a couple of times during the hot/humid parts of the year so I can clean them out. In the cooler, drier times it's not so important. In the winter I fill everything full. In the summer the mash feeder I only fill half-full so that it goes out sooner. Less wasted or spoiled feed this way. A drier climate might not need to do this.

Mine stays dry in the coop,but I still let it get close to empty abouy every 2 weeks.
smile.png

Your adding the new to the top, so the old is getting eaten first, I wouldn't worry about it getting close to empty, just keep filling like normal! If it's getting wet or out in the weather, then that makes a HUGE difference, but if it's inside your doing just fine!!

Back
Top Bottom