how long is normal for a new layer to lay soft or thin shelled eggs?

Rushdoggie

Songster
Jun 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
I have a 7-8 month old Cuckoo Marans hen who has laid I think 5 or 6 eggs in the last month. The first one I found and it was completely shell less. I think there were at least 2 more that I found pieces of in the coop. Then I found a very very thin shelled egg on the ground that had been eaten.

I was gone for a week and my pet sitter said she didn't find any but had 2 very large double yolk eggs, but I am not sure who laid them because I have 2 that lay brown eggs. She said they didn't have super dark shells.

Today I knew she was in the nest box and she left a very thin shelled egg that was mottled cream and brown. More shell than in the past but tiny and still not "regular."

So I know its normal for new layers to lay soft eggs, but its been several weeks and shes not laying regularly and her eggs are still not normal.

Should I worry?

it can take up to a month.
What are you feeding, she is calcium deficient is why she is laying shelless/thin shelled eggs.

I have mine on flock raiser with os on the side and haven't had any issues as the only thing that changed after going on that is the addition of oyster shell availability once they started laying. There is also a calcium supplement you can give if it is only one hen that is having the issue, but I can't think for the life of me this late what it's called so gonna tag @aart so he can help you out with what it is and how much.

I have a 7-8 month old Cuckoo Marans hen who has laid I think 5 or 6 eggs in the last month.
Did she just start laying a month ago?
Do you have other new layers that are laying 'good' shells?
Have you had this bird since it was a day old chick?

Before you start adding supplements or other foods....
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Thin shells are not just about calcium itself.
They need other nutrients to utilize the calcium they eat.
....and some birds are just 'lemons' that no amount of diet manipulation is going to 'cure'. Have had a few of those.

Did she just start laying a month ago?
Do you have other new layers that are laying 'good' shells?

Yes. I have a slightly older Brahma who is laying well, and 2 older birds who lay well. None of teh other birds have ever laid soft shelled eggs.

Have you had this bird since it was a day old chick?

No, I got her at 6 weeks, she was a companion to my Brahma who got injured and had to be isolated from the adult birds.

Before you start adding supplements or other foods....
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

My girls get Purina layer feed in gravity feeders they have access to 24/7 and there is oyster shell available if she wants it.
Thin shells are not just about calcium itself.
They need other nutrients to utilize the calcium they eat.
....and some birds are just 'lemons' that no amount of diet manipulation is going to 'cure'. Have had a few of those.
Thats what I was worried about.

Back
Top Bottom