1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long on average for a Polish hen to begin egglaying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yankeefan, Mar 18, 2012.

1. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello all.

I have a small flock of hens that are all at 30 weeks old. 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orps, 1 RIR and 1 white crested black polish. Everyone is laying well except the polish. She is quite small, but seems to be perfectly healthy and I was just wondering if polish hens are typically slow to start laying or if I've just got a stubborn girl with a wild hairdo. I'm really in no hurry for one more egg here or there, just curious.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I think I've answered my own question. I did a litte digging online and found that Polish are not really reliable egglayers. Best case scenario, they may lay an egg or two each week and some won't even do that much.

No worries. She is what she is, funny to look at anyway. Plus, I doubt she eats very much.

3. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I have a much loved WCBP that didn't start laying until she was 10 months old. We get an adorable little egg about every other day.

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    It took our gals about 6 months to begin laying but we get about an egg a day or one every other day from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by