How long should I be putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grouse, Aug 2, 2010.

1. grouse

grouse In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    I've been putting a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's organic/raw/unfiltered kind) in my chicks' 1 quart plastic waterers since day 4 or so (chicks are now 2 weeks old) to help with pasty butt and because I heard it was good for numerous other health reasons as well. Just wondering, how long should I keep putting it in their water and will it hurt anything if I continue to put it in for too long?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    I don't think it can hurt anything if its very dilute (1 tablespoon in a quart or less). Depending on where you live, you water may be alkaline and buffer some of the acidity, anyway. I think you could do it indefinitely if you wanted to, but for this purpose, probably do it for a month maybe?

I can't think of what it would hurt, really -- I don't think chickens get acid reflux disease.

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    There's nothing wrong with using it long-term. It's good for their digestion and they like the taste.

4. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    i heard it also prevents parasites from getting in the water! Didn't know you could give it to chickies though!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I learned through BYC that using ACV can only benefit your flock. I've used it for 18 months now. (w/ the"mother")

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: