How long should I be putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grouse, Aug 2, 2010.

1. grouse

grouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    I've been putting a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's organic/raw/unfiltered kind) in my chicks' 1 quart plastic waterers since day 4 or so (chicks are now 2 weeks old) to help with pasty butt and because I heard it was good for numerous other health reasons as well. Just wondering, how long should I keep putting it in their water and will it hurt anything if I continue to put it in for too long?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I don't think it can hurt anything if its very dilute (1 tablespoon in a quart or less). Depending on where you live, you water may be alkaline and buffer some of the acidity, anyway. I think you could do it indefinitely if you wanted to, but for this purpose, probably do it for a month maybe?

I can't think of what it would hurt, really -- I don't think chickens get acid reflux disease.

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    There's nothing wrong with using it long-term. It's good for their digestion and they like the taste.

4. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    i heard it also prevents parasites from getting in the water! Didn't know you could give it to chickies though!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I learned through BYC that using ACV can only benefit your flock. I've used it for 18 months now. (w/ the"mother")

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by