How long should I grind up the crumbles?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by carolynb, May 29, 2010.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We have Bobwhite quail chicks, 1 week old. We are currently grinding up their crumbles. Does anyone know how long we need to do that? Thanks!

2. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't have bobs, but I stopped grinding for my coturnix after a couple of days. Frankly, I am not sure it was ever necessary as there are enough tiny pieces and powder in every scoopful anyway. They pick around and find the sizes they need, in my opinion.

UGCM

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have bobs a week old now. I just put the nutrina wild game starter(crumbles) in the feeder & they always do fine

4. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Great! Thank you both for the replies!!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bobs Do Not Need Food Ground Up. They Are Capable Of Eating Standard Crumble At Hatch

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I know this is true for the Nutrena Gamebird Starter. What I'm buying is a large percentage "dust" along with the crumbles. After keeping a generous amount of the "dust / crumbles mix" scattered on the floor of the brooder for introduction, they start picking up the crumbles by day-3 at the latest............most on day-2. At least.......that's what it looked like to me. After putting them in the brooder right out of the bator, (after they stand there for a few minutes in shell-shock), they start "feeding". And you can see them trying the larger size crumbles, but are quick to drop them (for the most part) because it's just a little too much to down right then, I guess. But, they will start downing those big crumbles before you know it.

Last edited: May 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by