1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should i keep chick in incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BOs and Silkie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. BOs and Silkie

BOs and Silkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    NJ
    How long should i keep a chick hatched last night at 6 in the incubator????? Also the chick has a black thing on her butt. it is like 3 cm long. What is that and what should i do with it????

2. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    I do not know exactly what the black thing is but I know one thing for sure DO NOT PULL IT OFF! I have read many posts saying if you do pull it off the chick will bleed and die.... :( I remember it being on one of my chicks and I almost pulled it off but I made sure on this website if I should or shouldn't

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    People say to take the chick out after 24 hours in the incubator. I take mine out within a couple hours of hatching. Mines always get into trouble when i leave them in the incubator. I immediately place them in a preheated brooder at around 100 degrees (same temp as incubator).

4. bradson1234

bradson1234 New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    thats my friend who is watching the chick, the chick isnt that weak but it is fresh out of the incubator like 20 hours ago it hatched, it just it kinda wabbling when it walks, it is not very weak its perfectly heathy. this is normal right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by