how long should i wait for chicks to hatch

emptynester2

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
We had a broody hen and adopted some viable eggs from a friend. We were having springlike weather but since then we have had many days and nights below freezing. We are now on day 29 and still no chicks.
Today we did a float test and looks like there might still be hope. Or has it been too long and should we give up.

We had a broody hen and adopted some viable eggs from a friend. We were having springlike weather but since then we have had many days and nights below freezing. We are now on day 29 and still no chicks.
Today we did a float test and looks like there might still be hope. Or has it been too long and should we give up.
How sure are you that they are chicken eggs? If they really are chicken eggs and it has been 29 days they can't be any good. If they are duck, turkey, or some other fowl they may still be good. Many of us have had hens hatch eggs when the weather sometimes dips below freezing. There are risks but it isn't impossible.

Which float test did you do, there are two different ones? A fresh egg will sink. As it loses moisture through the porous shell it will eventually lose enough that it will stand n end and then eventually float. This gives you an idea of how old the egg is. It doesn't tell you if the egg is good to eat or not, just an idea of age. I personally don't see much benefit to this float test as the older eggs are probably still good to eat but some people use it to justify tossing eggs from a hidden nest.

The other float test is when you put an incubated egg in a bowl of water. In my opinion this test should only be used if the eggs are way overdue, has not pipped, and you are ready to throw them out. If a chick is still alive in the egg it should wiggle on its own while floating. So you put those back in the incubator, they still have a chance. I'd never do that before Day 24 so not much of a chance, but at least some. If the egg has pipped you can drown the chick. If you are early you can wash away the bloom and allow bacteria inside the egg. That could kill the chick.

I've only used this test once, with my niece that was visiting so she did not feel so bad about tossing the last egg that was not going to hatch. I consider it a last second desperation move for those that just can't stand to too eggs.

The physics behind the different float tests are interesting but I don't see either one to be all that valuable. More like a science experiment.

No we didn’t candle the eggs. We are new at this. We live in town and don’t have a rooster so we got the eggs from a friend.
Candling is the best way to tell if the eggs are viable or not. Get the brightest flashlight you can and shine it into the eggs. Make sure the area you're candling in is as dark as possible for best viewing. The eggs should be dark and full. You might see the baby kicking, any veining, or pipping at this stage. If you don't see anything moving, it's probably dead. Feel free to post some pictures if you aren't sure what you're looking at.

I posted about my broody hen earlier this week. She had been sitting on adopted eggs for about a month. I was advised to throw them out. I felt bad for her losing those eggs she sat on so faithfully so we bought some chicks to take the place of the eggs I was taking from her. We did this yesterday. Last night it snowed so winter is still here. I am happy to report that Mama and chicks are doing fine. I am new at posting on this forum, I hope to share more on this topic, maybe even pictures.

I posted about my broody hen earlier this week. She had been sitting on adopted eggs for about a month. I was advised to throw them out. I felt bad for her losing those eggs she sat on so faithfully so we bought some chicks to take the place of the eggs I was taking from her. We did this yesterday. Last night it snowed so winter is still here. I am happy to report that Mama and chicks are doing fine. I am new at posting on this forum, I hope to share more on this topic, maybe even pictures.
:welcome Glad to hear there is a happy ending to this.

Back
Top Bottom