1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kschut669, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Kschut669

Kschut669 New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    We just got some new Chickens last saturday, and I'm wondering how long should we wait to let them out free range? They already have an outdoor area but I'd like them to get some new scenery. We don't live in a SUPER busy area, but we're not in the country either. We have neighboors that we can see but they aren't RIGHT there. We also have a large yard, but with a pretty busy road. Our coop isn't near the road and our neighboors have ten chickens they let out too. Will they be smart enough not to go into the road? SHould I wait another week? I just don't know?[​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I wouls wait another week. We always try to wait 2 weeks before letting anything out if we plan on letting them free range.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i would def wait. get your chickens used to your voice.... i have methods when i free range because if i need my girls back then i call for them. connect with your chickens first.
    also, is your yard fenced in? [​IMG]

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    While you are waiting, every time you bring them feed or treats, call "here chick,chick,chicks" or something, then they will come running, very helpful, if you have to pen them up quick! MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by