how long should I wait??

OHhappychicks

Crowing
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hillsboro,OH
How long should I wait for eggs to pass for eggbound hen? She has been walking funny for at least a week. I started treating her yesterday. Giving warm baths 2-3 times a day. Stomach extended, egg way back at the base of her wing. I can't get it to move down. I don't feel anymore eggs. She is eating and drinking, very alert. Just doesn't walk around much. Been doing the oil in the vent. This eve when I did it, it was a lot tighter and some blood. Giving her duramycin which she is drinking. She is pooping, although it is starting to get very runny with clear liquid. I want to give the antibiotics time to work but I don't want her to suffer. I think something else is in her abdomen. I'm not sure. It is tight but not hard. There is some reason egg is not moving down. Just hate to put her down, she is so alert and interested in whats going on around her. Should it be taking this long?

Last edited:
Does any vet do this or does it have to be an avian? My vet doesn't treat birds, and isn't in on sat. There is one about 40 mi away. As usual, when I need a vet, it is always a weekend! I may give the one a call today do see if he is in. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take her to the vet. The last time I took a chicken to the vet, she didn't know about birds, it cost me about 120 bucks! And she didn't know what was wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom