How long should it take a Brahma chick to feather out?

RL

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Point, TX
I have a Buff Brahma that is a tad over 6 weeks old and he/she is still mostly a big ball of fuzz. I know Brahmas are slow growing, but is this the normal growth rate for them? The BRs in the pic are the the same age give or take a day.

33770_dscf0017.jpg

33770_dscf0031.jpg

33770_dscf0025.jpg

33770_dscf0034.jpg

Beautiful bird... couple more weeks and it should be fully feathered. They get so big, they just take a little longer!

Thank you. I can't wait to see what he/she is going to look like when all feathered in. Can you tell at this age if its hen or roo?

I think in the next week or so you will see a dramatic increase in feathers. Mine went from the awkward teenage stage to darn good lookin' chicks very, very quickly. I'd say in 3-4 days time the metamorphosis took shape.

Last edited:
She or he does seem to be feathering out a bit slow, but if you still have them under heat lamps that could explain it.
Another week should do the trick. I also wouldn't bet anybody that she's definitely a girl at this point.
wink.png

I haven't had them under a heat lamp for a long time now. I think I only had a heat lamp on them for maybe a week when they were little.

They have been out in the coop with no heat except the Texas sun and the nights would only get to around 73 or so. I have an older SLW they would snuggle up with at night.

I'll post another pic of Dufus mid next week to see how the feathering out is going. I've named it Dufus because it seemed a bit brain damaged when it was younger and still does. Thanks for the replies.

Maybe it aint' a dud, but a dude!

We have two light brahma bantam chicks of 7 weeks. One is almost fully feathered and is gorgeous, the other still looks like vulture chick (with a lot of fluff, still) that's been shaved. The fully feathered one is sweet and demure, a little giddy but not too bad, and the comb is only a wee bit pink, but mostly yellow.

The one that isn't fully feathered is an obvious male - cherry red comb, lots of chest bumping. He pecks everything in the head and if he isn't pecking them he's trying to jump on them, including the standard pullets who have decided they really hate him. They are not helping him in his good looks at all - half of the feathers on his back are now plucked by the standard pullets tired of his dominant shenanigans. Still, he doesn't seem to get that his loverboy act is not wanted.

Back
Top Bottom