How long should my duck tractor run be?

JStark

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
I keep rethinking the idea of my duck tractor. Right now, I've got an A-frame design in my head with a 6 foot by 4 foot enclosed run and a 4 foot by 4 foot house. However, I'm worried about that not being enough room for my three welsh harlequins.

The whole unit will be designed to be moved every day or two, and they will get opportunities to run in the yard, it isn't like this is going to be their only space. But, we have a dog who would get bored and eat them if we weren't around.

So, my question: Is 24 square feet enough of a run? Also, with the sloping sides of the A-frame style, will it be enough room?

24 square feet should be plent of you move them around like you're talking. Also, the height is not as important for welsh harlequin ducks since they don't often fly around like mallards and runners tend to do.

Good luck! don't forget to post pics when it is finished!

Technically it's probably OK if you are moving it to a fresh spot every day, but ducks are normally very active critters that love running around a lot. One idea that comes from Hedred, who post on this forum, is to make a portable run out of PVC piping. This has the advantage of making it much lighter so that maybe it could be made a lot larger.

Back
Top Bottom