How long should shipped eggs sit before incubating

Quote:
I could put them in the bator w/out the egg turner on for 12 hours?

I'm thinking with the cold weather, I would probably be safer to insure they don't get heated up too fast - thus leaving them out at room temp?

Lots of stuff to think about... Who'da Thunk... LOL

that's the reason for a rest period, your eggs settle and get slowly to room temp, everything evens out, to put them in the turner is OK if you don't have them in the 'bator. to go from ship to 99.5 is to quick, I personally prefer 24 hour even 36 for the rest.

Quote:
I could put them in the bator w/out the egg turner on for 12 hours?

I'm thinking with the cold weather, I would probably be safer to insure they don't get heated up too fast - thus leaving them out at room temp?

Lots of stuff to think about... Who'da Thunk... LOL

Whoa, definitely bring them up to room temp well in advance. Then put them in and don't plug in the turner till the third day. The member who advised this has had improved results with multiple hatches. It's on one of the threads from yesterday; I don't recall which one, unfortunately.

It's worth a shot, seems to me.

If the eggs are cool when they arrive, I let them sit 8-12 hours and then put them in the incubator with the turner shut off for 2-3 days.

During the summer when the eggs arrive, usually they are warm, I put them straight in the incubator but leave the turner off for 2-3 days. If by chance the heat made the eggs start developing, why let them cool off.

These arrived on a Sat morning, having benn shipped on a Mon, through a blizzard with subzero temps, and the box badly smashed. [Free eggs, an experiment in packaging; no need to bash the shipper
wink.png
]

44349_eggs_008.jpg

44349_eggs_010.jpg

Five [of twelve] surviving eggs, two with cracks not yet noticed, rested about 6 hours after having the egg goo washed off, went to the bator; 21 days later:

44349_hatching_007.jpg

44349_chicks_from_katy_005.jpg

[The two cracked eggs never developed]

Quote:
I've got my "second batch ever" coming, sent Wed morning. I'm hoping for a better experience with the shipping.
lol.png
This time I have a tracking # to use; but this is what I get as an answer when I use it:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 02, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I think the message translates to:

"
idunno.gif
".................... "
tongue2.gif
".................. "
smack.gif
"

lau.gif

Last edited:
What if you eggs that you get shipped happens to have a loose air cell from rough shipping? Are they still hatch able?

Some people say leave them in a carton pointy end down and don't turn for 5-7 days. Then still leave upright at 45 angle and turn that way. I've had lots of eggs shipped this year and the eggs with a rolling air sack that moves all around the egg I didn't have any develope or hatch. But ones with loose sacks that dont roll but that stay at the fat end...it gives them a funky air cell but I did get chicks and a peachick to hatch....I had to help a couple chicks hatch with these type air sacks. I left them in a carton at a 45 angle from the get go and turned a 1/4 turn at least 3x day. All my good eggs lay on their sides.

Back
Top Bottom