How long should the look no touch last

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
I have 2 Wyandottes at 12 weeks, 2 wyandottes 11 weeks that are together in a cage outside that joins another cage that has 2 white leghorns at 11 weeks, how long should they be in the cage before I put them in the coop together. I also have 3 Buff Orpingtons at 16 weeks that I need to join into the group. After losing chickens 3 months ago I have been keeping the chickens in pet carriers, but they are way to big for the carriers now and need to go into the coop.

Attachments

• 20190814_185925.jpg
    20190814_185925.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190724_175713.jpg
    20190724_175713.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190725_180029.jpg
    20190725_180029.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190725_181036.jpg
    20190725_181036.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190813_164603.jpg
    20190813_164603.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 6
I've always read, and practiced this with my own flock, that once they are about the same size as your pre-existing flock, you can introduce them. You mainly want to be sure they are big enough to defend themselves should the establishment of the pecking order get a little rough.

The ones that can see each other can probably go in, now. If the others have been able to "see-no-touch" for awhile, they can probably go in together, too. Make sure they have separate places to roost for awhile, so they don't fight for perch space right away - and make sure you have multiple feeders and watering stations, as well. That way, no one can play "King of the Hill" and keep others away. It would be a good idea to have some hiding places, too - places they can be out of sight but not be trapped by other birds.
expect some pecking as they establish their new pecking order, but it should settle out fairly quickly. You can minimize that by introducing them while they free-range and/or feed on scattered scratch. Putting them together in the evening, just before they roost, may help, too ... but after they've "met."

Thank you, I have read so many different things I was getting a little confused. I also have 9 others that are 8 weeks should they go into the cage in the coop for the look no touch or could they all go in the coop together at the same time.

It depends on their size really. I've had huge 8 week old chickens and tiny ones. The size difference between 8 and 11 weeks can be huge. Maybe once you've integrated the older ones into your flock, move them in the coop, or next to it, in their crates still for a couple more weeks to allow them to get bigger, but still have a sense of who's who in the coop.

It depends on their size really. I've had huge 8 week old chickens and tiny ones. The size difference between 8 and 11 weeks can be huge. Maybe once you've integrated the older ones into your flock, move them in the coop, or next to it, in their crates still for a couple more weeks to allow them to get bigger, but still have a sense of who's who in the coop.
I really appreciate your help, my family tells me it's time for them to go in the coop, too. I just got so heartbroken when I lost 18 pullets (12 where stolen and 6 to raccoons) 3 months ago, I've been determined not to lose any more. I have made the coop and run like fort Knox so I am ready. Again thank you

You're welcome! I know how it is. I've lost 8 to hawks and other predators since I started with chickens again. I've got one hen from my original flock and 3 left from the last batch of chicks i bought. Supervise free range and secure the coop as best as possible, but unfortunately nature is nature.

You're welcome! I know how it is. I've lost 8 to hawks and other predators since I started with chickens again. I've got one hen from my original flock and 3 left from the last batch of chicks i bought. Supervise free range and secure the coop as best as possible, but unfortunately nature is nature.
My friends and family have helped me out with bring me more chicks and then I got the chick math bug so I have these 9 then 9 more then somebody ordered some from a hatchery another 8 chicks that are 2weeks, iam going to just enjoy my 26 girls as long as I can. You have been so helpful, thank you.

I've got 29 in the bator right now. One is pipped, 3 rocking around. My chicken math got out of hand fast. You're very welcome for the advice! Hope it goes well when you introduce them. Let us know how it goes. I'm not going to sleep much tonight with chicks hatching in the next room. Its only day 19 too

I've got 29 in the bator right now. One is pipped, 3 rocking around. My chicken math got out of hand fast. You're very welcome for the advice! Hope it goes well when you introduce them. Let us know how it goes. I'm not going to sleep much tonight with chicks hatching in the next room. Its only day 19 too
Congratulations on your new chicks, it must be exciting waiting and watching for new chicks, I am not sleeping much this week either this is only the 3rd night my girls have been out of the carriers. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom