How long should they pip? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherokeerainbow, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Found 2 eggs at 5am (est) with small cracks (pips) and lots of cheeping! YEA!
    One was hatched when I returned home at 9:30 am, one is still rocking and peeping but hasn't made much progress in getting out...
    Should I help a bit??? or Wait a while and let her do it????
    Help! Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 3rd egg hasn't shown signs yet...I'm going to wait though, could be slow bloomer! [​IMG]

2. Cherokeerainbow

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    OMG...she's crying and crying! Lonely lil chick! I placed the (hopefully) soon to hatch egg in there with her so they can talk....

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Eggs can take 24 hours just to pip until zip. Unless it doesn't start zipping at 5am i would consider helping. Patience is the key.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, four hours is not very long--give it at least 24, maybe 48 hours. If there is ABSOLUTELY no progress at that point, then you can consider helping.

When you say you placed the other egg "in there" with her, I hope you don't mean you put it in the brooder?? The egg needs the consistent warmth and the HUMIDITY of the incubator--it will dry out and be unable to free itself from the egg if the humidity drops. If you have taken it out, mist it with warm water and get it back in the incubator ASAP. But maybe I misunderstood...

Anyway, good luck!

5. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    Helping too early causes problems! Isn't it terrible?! They make us wait!

Chicks in the same clutch can hatch 3 or so day apart even, so be patient!

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    you have to remember, its a tiny newborn...not very much strength and it gets tired working to get out of a shell ...it can be hard work...It will pip, and pip...move...and then you might see it stop...no movement, and no sounds...I know it can be scary...but its resting.

Good luck and CONGRATS!!!!

7. Cherokeerainbow

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Yes...I did put him/her back in the Bator...

Baby has a pinky size hole all the way thru so far, and I can see baby's beak and watch chirp too.

8. Cherokeerainbow

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    [​IMG] Baby made it out! [​IMG]
    whew...finally.
    I placed baby back in the brooder (this time to stay) with the one other chick. Glad baby isn't alone anymore.
    Third egg shows no signs yet... I'll just wait...[​IMG]
    Other 9 (seremas) are due this Wend... [​IMG] Fixing up a different brooder for that group too.
    Thanks all for your help and support!!!
    Everyone is awesome peeps!

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG] Congrats!

10. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Good job! Waiting is tough isn't it!! [​IMG] But... if you hatch enough of em, you will have to help some out on occasion. Sometimes the chick will grow too large inside the egg and won't be able to move around enough to "Unzip" the egg. They will die if you don't help them out when this happens... So.. we all know how you feel! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by