How long should they pip? Help!

Cherokeerainbow

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Turner, Maine
Found 2 eggs at 5am (est) with small cracks (pips) and lots of cheeping! YEA!
One was hatched when I returned home at 9:30 am, one is still rocking and peeping but hasn't made much progress in getting out...
Should I help a bit??? or Wait a while and let her do it????
Help! Thanks!!

37446_tony_roo_babies_001.jpg

37446_tony_roo_babies_010.jpg

My 3rd egg hasn't shown signs yet...I'm going to wait though, could be slow bloomer!
smile.png

Yes, four hours is not very long--give it at least 24, maybe 48 hours. If there is ABSOLUTELY no progress at that point, then you can consider helping.

When you say you placed the other egg "in there" with her, I hope you don't mean you put it in the brooder?? The egg needs the consistent warmth and the HUMIDITY of the incubator--it will dry out and be unable to free itself from the egg if the humidity drops. If you have taken it out, mist it with warm water and get it back in the incubator ASAP. But maybe I misunderstood...

Anyway, good luck!

Helping too early causes problems! Isn't it terrible?! They make us wait!

Chicks in the same clutch can hatch 3 or so day apart even, so be patient!

you have to remember, its a tiny newborn...not very much strength and it gets tired working to get out of a shell ...it can be hard work...It will pip, and pip...move...and then you might see it stop...no movement, and no sounds...I know it can be scary...but its resting.

Good luck and CONGRATS!!!!

big_smile.png
Baby made it out!
celebrate.gif

whew...finally.
I placed baby back in the brooder (this time to stay) with the one other chick. Glad baby isn't alone anymore.
Third egg shows no signs yet... I'll just wait...
fl.gif

Other 9 (seremas) are due this Wend...
fl.gif
Fixing up a different brooder for that group too.
Thanks all for your help and support!!!
Everyone is awesome peeps!

clap.gif
Good job! Waiting is tough isn't it!!
barnie.gif
But... if you hatch enough of em, you will have to help some out on occasion. Sometimes the chick will grow too large inside the egg and won't be able to move around enough to "Unzip" the egg. They will die if you don't help them out when this happens... So.. we all know how you feel!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom