How long should you let shipped eggs rest before incubating

In December I ordered 3 dozen shipped eggs. The wonderful seller added in extras and I got 60!!!!!

I ordered another incubator with rush delivery. I went a head and set half the eggs after 24 hours. The other half went in 5 days later due to a big storm delaying delivery.

Well, I got 15 out of 32 from the 24 hour group and 19 out of 25 from the 5 day group.

All other variables were the same.

Liz

Any one here use the 1588 hovabator? Just asking because my hatch rate from shipped eggs is terrible. I've never gotten more than 4 out of 12-18 eggs. And I did wait 24 hours before putting them in a pre-heated incubator.

thanks for the replies, I am learning!!!
D.gif

Yes, fan and autoturner. The only thing I can't be 100% sure of is the accuracy of the hygrometer since I don't know how to test this. All thermometers read a steady 100 degrees. Humidity reads 35% with water added every other day to two. I've also tried letting the humidity go too. Water does disappear pretty fast with the fan running continuously.

Quote:
Many of the shipped eggs I've bought were wrapped in bubble wrap, and they've hatched out to some degree or other, so it can't be a sure killer. Is there the possibility that it contributes somehow to reduced hatches by altering the natural exchange of gases between the egg and atmosphere? = sure, that is certainly a possibility. Whether or not anyone has researched and quantified this in a scientific manner is hard to say.

OTOH, bubble wrap is definitely one of the better packaging materials for preventing breakage in shipping -- a broken egg definitely won't hatch.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I let my shipped eggs sit for the day. Usually about 9 hours considering my house is AC and they go from a hot traveling to AC then into a hot incubator. I get hatches at all different rates from 100% to zero. I hatch around 300 chicks a month, from my own and others.

Bubble wrap does not smother the eggs. I had a box all ready for shipment one morning when the buyer did not come through with the money. I waited 2 weeks before opening the box back up and was going to toss the eggs but thought, what the heck and set them myself. They all hatched.
Not to mention all the eggs I get that are wrapped in bubble wrap and hatch just fine. How can bubble wrap smother them anymore than a hen sitting on them does? She pushes her bare chest down over them and they are pushed down into the bedding.

Well.. so far here's my experience with shipped eggs

12 blue/black/splash orpingtons: I let these sit for 24 hours undisturbed before putting in the incubator since they arrived before the rest of the shipped eggs.. on day ten only 7 good eggs out of 12

18 blue/black/splash ameraucanas: I put these straight into the incubator as I unpacked them and candled them to check for cracks.. so they didnt have any time to rest.. on day ten I had 12 good eggs out of 18

I got my eggs off ebay and every seller there seems to concurr that 24 hours is best. I didn't quibble, just left them in the living room Ok... maybe it wasn't exactly 24 hours... more like until the next morning when I got up. I didn't turn them for the first day though. I hope that helped.

Back
Top Bottom