How long til maturity?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RebelsHope, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I wanted to hatch out some of my own chicks from my layers this year. All the hens are heavy breeds: BO, Silver Laced Wayndotte, RIR, NHR, Barred Rock. My roo is a RIR banty X EE. How do I know when the cockerls would be ready to butcher? I talked to the processing plant and they said that in late summer I need to call about a month before hand.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since those are not meat birds, I would aim for the 14-16 week old mark. Don't expect anything that looks like supermarket birds though. They will be about half the size.

3. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks, I was just going to do it so I didn't have a ton of roo running a muck in the barn yard.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    heavybreed roos will be ready for the freezer in 16 to 24 weeks.

5. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    I'm in the same situation-- thanks for the responses. Can we expect a lot of trouble in the way of fighting from these boys as they grow? Can they stay in with the pullets? Mine are 6-7 weeks and I see some sparring beginning. I'm not too excited about butchering but I can't find anyone local to give these guys away to!

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i would get a different rooster,

JMHO

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Leaving your heavy breed cockrels with pullets never seems to work. By the 14, 16 or 20 week mark they are very much roosters and will spend all their time chasing women and fighting. They don't put on weight well or retain a soft muscle texture if allowed to be this active. Your pullets will also thank you if you separate them.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Yeah. Bantams. :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by