Jul 12, 2017
7 eggs in the incubator - 3 pipped that I can see. It's day 20ish (don't remember the exact time I put them in - sorry, I was kid free and it was a project I did while drinking wine... don't judge me lol). Anyway, this one I can see is alive and has been working since about 8am through this pip but has made MINIMAL progress... but I don't want to open the incubator but my last hatch I had a chick I probably should have helped and died doing the same thing (I'm jaded from it, clearly). Lockdown gives me anxiety. It's exciting, though. Thanks everyone in advance for your responses - love this site!

So far 4/7 hatched and 1 is zipping now... so 5 at least (hopefully) - I do have one with I think it's intestines on the outside.... worried about that one... humidity 70-80% (on lockdown, clearly). This is my third and most successful hatch - I've been trying to take a slew of advice and combine it with my minimal experience to find a decent hatch rate that works for me... I do have to mention these are all shipped eggs so that could be a factor as well. I try my best with most of the info I learn here...

I'm sitting on my hands to force myself not to help this one out - about 20% zipped and stopped - can't even seem to move - can't see the breathing motions or anything. But it peeps if I "accidentally" tap the incubator so I know it's alive. I have no clue how long about it started zipping but I know it's stopped - do they ever take long zip breaks? I've only ever seen short breaks and always can tell they are "working" inside the shell to zip in the next location. ugh - the anxiety! This is too much fun, though - hope I'm able get this 5th chick out alive... I will feel like a hero on a Shonda Rhimes show... :lol:

I'm sitting on my hands to force myself not to help this one out - about 20% zipped and stopped - can't even seem to move - can't see the breathing motions or anything. But it peeps if I "accidentally" tap the incubator so I know it's alive. I have no clue how long about it started zipping but I know it's stopped - do they ever take long zip breaks? I've only ever seen short breaks and always can tell they are "working" inside the shell to zip in the next location. ugh - the anxiety! This is too much fun, though - hope I'm able get this 5th chick out alive... I will feel like a hero on a Shonda Rhimes show... :lol:
I know that they do rest, its hard work being born. That being said, I am calling in an expert here @WVduckchick because the zip should actually be quite quick but as we dont know when this one started....

Back
Top Bottom