How long till I intervene?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HereChickChickChick88, Mar 15, 2018.

1. HereChickChickChick88

HereChickChickChick88 Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    7 eggs in the incubator - 3 pipped that I can see. It's day 20ish (don't remember the exact time I put them in - sorry, I was kid free and it was a project I did while drinking wine... don't judge me lol). Anyway, this one I can see is alive and has been working since about 8am through this pip but has made MINIMAL progress... but I don't want to open the incubator but my last hatch I had a chick I probably should have helped and died doing the same thing (I'm jaded from it, clearly). Lockdown gives me anxiety. It's exciting, though. Thanks everyone in advance for your responses - love this site!

2. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    Some time it can take up to 24 hrs after pipping. Be patient, we just hatched 14, 1 came a complete day ahead of hatch time and the last one came a day late actually.

3. HereChickChickChick88

Jul 12, 2017
    Solid advice... nerves are getting the best of me!

nightowl223 likes this.
  4. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    How has the hatch gone? You got chick's?:fl

5. Altfrizzle

Altfrizzle Songster

Sep 1, 2017
    Ridgefield, CT
    What's your humidity at?

HereChickChickChick88 likes this.
  6. HereChickChickChick88

Jul 12, 2017
    So far 4/7 hatched and 1 is zipping now... so 5 at least (hopefully) - I do have one with I think it's intestines on the outside.... worried about that one... humidity 70-80% (on lockdown, clearly). This is my third and most successful hatch - I've been trying to take a slew of advice and combine it with my minimal experience to find a decent hatch rate that works for me... I do have to mention these are all shipped eggs so that could be a factor as well. I try my best with most of the info I learn here...

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  7. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Sheesh, if you get 5 out of 7 from shipped eggs you are doing GREAT!!!! :wootPlease let us know how it all goes.

8. HereChickChickChick88

Jul 12, 2017
    I'm sitting on my hands to force myself not to help this one out - about 20% zipped and stopped - can't even seem to move - can't see the breathing motions or anything. But it peeps if I "accidentally" tap the incubator so I know it's alive. I have no clue how long about it started zipping but I know it's stopped - do they ever take long zip breaks? I've only ever seen short breaks and always can tell they are "working" inside the shell to zip in the next location. ugh - the anxiety! This is too much fun, though - hope I'm able get this 5th chick out alive... I will feel like a hero on a Shonda Rhimes show... :lol:

9. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I know that they do rest, its hard work being born. That being said, I am calling in an expert here @WVduckchick because the zip should actually be quite quick but as we dont know when this one started....

nightowl223 and WVduckchick like this.
  10. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    If it started zipping, give it an hour... if the zipping isn't progressing, it might be time to intervene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: