How long till my hen starts laying more and gets broody?

javi21602

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2016
I bought this chicken and then I bought a rooster and they have mated more then once and she has Layed one egg and I don't know how long till she lays more and starts getting broody can u help me?

Firstly, if this is her first eggs, then it will likely take a while before she gets her egg-laying plumbing up and running smoothly. She will only become broody (if indeed she does at all) when the time is right for her - there is nothing we can do to affect this process.

If she is your only pullet and you have a roo, it could lead to over-mating and result in harm and stress to your pullet. The recommended roo to hen ratio is 1:10 - its not written in stone, but should act as a guide.

All the best
CT

We have six more hens but he only goes to her and where I bought her they said she has laid about 6 eggs before.

So then she is new to the egg laying game - she'll sort herself out in her own time.

Chickens just don't go broody.They have a hormone that triggers it.I have had hens who lay for years and don't brood.

I have several breeds that are known for broodiness. The cochin hen has been broody several times, but up until about 2 weeks ago, neither of my 3 year old Buff Orphingtons had been broody. One of them finally has become broody. I have some EE chicks on order to see if I can get her to foster them. Hoping it lasts that long as I don't want to raise them in a brooder if I can avoid it - nor in the house, if she'll foster them.

Firstly, if this is her first eggs, then it will likely take a while before she gets her egg-laying plumbing up and running smoothly. She will only become broody (if indeed she does at all) when the time is right for her - there is nothing we can do to affect this process.

If she is your only pullet and you have a roo, it could lead to over-mating and result in harm and stress to your pullet. The recommended roo to hen ratio is 1:10 - its not written in stone, but should act as a guide.

All the best
CT
I wouldn't worry abouta Ratio.roosters will selectively mate with hens.

Back
Top Bottom