How long till they can be outside?

Chuckin

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
we have 11 chickens, around 3 and a half weeks old. the temperature here currently are about 78-87 as the highs in the day, and 57-67 at night. theyre almost fully feathered except on the head and neck. would it be possible to put them in their outdoor coop even at night yet? what if we hung a heat lamp in there with an extension cord?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 86
we have 11 chickens, around 3 and a half weeks old. the temperature here currently are about 78-87 as the highs in the day, and 57-67 at night. theyre almost fully feathered except on the head and neck. would it be possible to put them in their outdoor coop even at night yet? what if we hung a heat lamp in there with an extension cord?
Mine went out at 5 and a half weeks and it was a glorious day!! LOL

I think it will be ok. They might not even need the heat lamp in the coop since they're mostly feathered. There's no wind blowing on them in there. You can always check at night to see if they seem too cold and then add the heat lamp if necessary.

I think it will be ok. They might not even need the heat lamp in the coop since they're mostly feathered. There's no wind blowing on them in there. You can always check at night to see if they seem too cold and then add the heat lamp if necessary.
thanks!

I put mine out with a heat lamp straight from the incubator. Yours can certainly go out now with a heat lamp, just be sure to secure the lamp with wire or chain. Do not depend on that clamp that came with it, those clamps are dangerous in this application.

At 3-1/2 weeks and a low of 57 F the question is if they need any heat at all. My feeling is probably not but I can't say that for sure. So if you can safely install that heat lamp then heat one area in the coop, at least at night, and give them the option to use it if they need to. They do not need it in those daytime temperatures.

I put mine out with a heat lamp straight from the incubator. Yours can certainly go out now with a heat lamp, just be sure to secure the lamp with wire or chain. Do not depend on that clamp that came with it, those clamps are dangerous in this application.

At 3-1/2 weeks and a low of 57 F the question is if they need any heat at all. My feeling is probably not but I can't say that for sure. So if you can safely install that heat lamp then heat one area in the coop, at least at night, and give them the option to use it if they need to. They do not need it in those daytime temperatures.
thanks!

no, we dont. do you think we should put them out with a heat lamp at night?
I have always put mine in the coop at 2 weeks with a heat lamp.
given the overnight temps, I would say yes, BUT make sure it is firmly secure so it cant be knocked over.

I agree, only at night turn the lamp on, if the night time temp goes up to 63 they may not need it given they have most of their feathers and can cuddle together in a box or tote

Back
Top Bottom