How long to brood chicks and poults together?

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
I currently am brooding my poults (hatched 5/11) and chicks (hatched 5/11 and 5/16) together in a large wire-wrapped kiddie pool in my coop. Right now they get along fairly well. The poults keep to themselves on one side of the pool. The BTW Japanese bantams are a bit territorial over one of the food/water areas and attack the poults if they come over there (along with any other chicks that venture to that side). How much longer can I keep the two groups together? In other words, how hard should I push my hubby to finish the turkey pens?
wink.png

They really only need to be togather for the first few days so the poults learn to eat and drink. You can keep them togather but how long do you want those chicken hogs eating that high dollar turkey starter?

Where I am the turkey and chick starter is the same price. And the only time that they weren't together was in the beginning
big_smile.png
, I had no problems with my poults drinking and eating. The issue is space and how much time I (well, really Hubby
smile.png
) have to get a coop and run built for them. They were unexpected and I was not prepared
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom