1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to brood chicks and poults together?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jc12551, May 30, 2011.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I currently am brooding my poults (hatched 5/11) and chicks (hatched 5/11 and 5/16) together in a large wire-wrapped kiddie pool in my coop. Right now they get along fairly well. The poults keep to themselves on one side of the pool. The BTW Japanese bantams are a bit territorial over one of the food/water areas and attack the poults if they come over there (along with any other chicks that venture to that side). How much longer can I keep the two groups together? In other words, how hard should I push my hubby to finish the turkey pens? [​IMG]

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    They really only need to be togather for the first few days so the poults learn to eat and drink. You can keep them togather but how long do you want those chicken hogs eating that high dollar turkey starter?

3. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Where I am the turkey and chick starter is the same price. And the only time that they weren't together was in the beginning [​IMG], I had no problems with my poults drinking and eating. The issue is space and how much time I (well, really Hubby [​IMG]) have to get a coop and run built for them. They were unexpected and I was not prepared [​IMG].

Last edited: May 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by