1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to feed chick starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cowgrl4life, May 3, 2010.

1. Cowgrl4life

Cowgrl4life Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I've got a variety of ages of chicks, how old do they need to be before you switch to a layer feed? And would it be ok to keep feeding the older chicks the chick starter until they are all ready to have layer pellets? My oldest is about eight weeks with my youngest around two weeks. My thought was to feed chick starter until they were all able to be on the same food. Would this work, and at what age should they make the switch to layer?

1 person likes this.
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I keep them on starter until they start to lay, then I switch to layer and oyster shell

3. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Last year, with my first babies, my chicken lady maven recommended that at about 12 weeks, mix the chick feed with adult layer feed, 50-50, then by about 16-17 weeks or so, totally on the adult feed. She also suggested holding off on the extra calcium until about 20 weeks or so, until right before they started to lay.

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:Thats what I do to.[​IMG]

5. juicebox

juicebox Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    hi, i'm new to chickens. my girls (rocks) are 13 weeks old. i've got 2 questions.
    1) i'm running out of grower food (it'll maybe last another 2-3 weeks). would it be too soon to switch to layer food?
    2) once on layer food that has calcium, is it still necessary to feed oyster shells?

thanks

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I feed my girls Layena without any oyster shell, and they lay lots of great quality eggs! [​IMG]

7. newwithchickens

newwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    from what ive been reading the oyster shells are for IF they dont have/get enough calcium to lay so if you just keep it out there to where they could get it IF needed so not really a requirement but good idea from my understanding.

8. AuntGoose

AuntGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Azle, Texas
    I too am new to chickens of my own - I have:
    2 RI Reds
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Americanas
    I will switch to laying pellets when they are ready to start laying... [​IMG] when are these girls ready to start laying?

9. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    I keep mine on starter for 8-12 weeks, then grower (16.5%) until they are 5-6 months. The reason most folks don't keep young on grower until they start laying is because sometimes they develop too fast due to the high protein content, and lay prematurely which can be damaging. And the reason most people don't switch on to layer until they are about laying age is the high calcium content can harm the young's kidneys. Young birds who are not laying do not need so much calcium.

1 person likes this.
  10. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    Quote:Most heritage breeds lay at 6-7 monthes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by