How long to feed chick starter?

I recently put all my girls on flock raiser as I am raising pullets and they are mixed with my hens. I am providing oyster shell at all times but recently, two of my hens started laying soft shelled eggs. The hens are laying better with the added protein but they are not getting the calcium they need. I gave emergency calcium to one of my hens and she is laying good eggs now so I know its the calcium. I'm at a loss as what to do. Any suggestions?

I recently put all my girls on flock raiser as I am raising pullets and they are mixed with my hens. I am providing oyster shell at all times but recently, two of my hens started laying soft shelled eggs. The hens are laying better with the added protein but they are not getting the calcium they need. I gave emergency calcium to one of my hens and she is laying good eggs now so I know its the calcium. I'm at a loss as what to do. Any suggestions?

If they've been used to layer feed, it might take them some time to learn to eat enough of the crushed oyster shell.

You could also seperate your pullets until they are laying.

How did you give emergency calcium?

I gave her 1/2 of one of my calcium pills cut into four small pieces. I had to force feed her because she wouldnt eat it even though I tried to disguise it. I dont like doing that because it stresses her. I gave emergency calcium because she was in distress and acting lethargic after passing her soft shelled egg on the perch at night. She is now laying good eggs and is feeling better. I got the advice here. Hate to see my girls in distress, she had been laying soft shelled eggs for almost 2 weeks before I decided to take matters into my own hands. They have always been on layer feed and I suppose they are not used to having to eat oyster shell. How long does it take for instinct to take over? Thought 2 weeks was long enough in that hens case.

When my pullets reach 18 weeks, I can switch them all over to layer. Cant separate my pullets, dont have a second coop. So I guess i can hand feed extra calcium until the girls figure it out.

I keep mine on starter for 8-12 weeks, then grower (16.5%) until they are 5-6 months. The reason most folks don't keep young on grower until they start laying is because sometimes they develop too fast due to the high protein content, and lay prematurely which can be damaging. And the reason most people don't switch on to layer until they are about laying age is the high calcium content can harm the young's kidneys. Young birds who are not laying do not need so much calcium.

This is what we are planning to do. Our older gals are almost 10 weeks and the younger are about 5 to 6 weeks. So when the youngers hit 8 weeks then everybody will get switched to grower unitl late September (around the 5 month mark).

duc.gif

Quote:

If they've been used to layer feed, it might take them some time to learn to eat enough of the crushed oyster shell.

You could also seperate your pullets until they are laying.

How did you give emergency calcium?

X2
It sometimes takes them a bit to get used to eating it. I keep a cage cup full next to the feed and another next to the nests.
They will get the urge to pick up the OS when the egg enters the shell gland which is usually in the afternoon.

Last edited:
I've got a variety of ages of chicks, how old do they need to be before you switch to a layer feed? And would it be ok to keep feeding the older chicks the chick starter until they are all ready to have layer pellets? My oldest is about eight weeks with my youngest around two weeks. My thought was to feed chick starter until they were all able to be on the same food. Would this work, and at what age should they make the switch to layer?

Mine are on their last bag of starter and grower. I've been waiting until they all start laying before switching to layer feed. They seem to lay pretty well on starter and grower. I also give them grit and oyster shells.

My hens are approximately 15-16 weeks old and I currently have them on starter feed and I don't plan on starting layer feed until they all start laying. I was thinking of offering them oyster shell in a small container to supplement their calcium and get them ready for when they start to lay. Also, I am getting one older hen who is of laying age so I want to make sure that she has enough calcium so that is another reason why I want to add oyster shells. Thoughts?

My hens are approximately 15-16 weeks old and I currently have them on starter feed and I don't plan on starting layer feed until they all start laying. I was thinking of offering them oyster shell in a small container to supplement their calcium and get them ready for when they start to lay. Also, I am getting one older hen who is of laying age so I want to make sure that she has enough calcium so that is another reason why I want to add oyster shells. Thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have oyster shells in a separate container. I sometimes scatter some oyster shells and grit in a cleared area on the floor. They seem to eat more of it that way.

My question is this... how do you keep your roos out of the layer feed?? Since they are not laying it can not be good for them....

Back
Top Bottom