How long to feed flock raiser to molting chickens

bmetz

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
Hi all. My chickens are in the process of molting I believe. They are still laying though. All I have read says they usually stop during molt. Is this normal? Some are missing some patches of feathers now in areas. It has been a slow process I have noticed over the last few weeks. They are also being very grumpy with each other which I read is common. I am switching them over to a flock raiser feed with higher protein to help them with the molt. My question is...if they are still laying during molt..how do I know when to switch back to their layer crumbles/they are done molting for good? I am supplementing oyster shell apart from feed. I don't want to switch back too early since they need the protein. Hopefully they finish quickly because pretty darn cold here in Indiana now! Thank you!

Hi all. My chickens are in the process of molting I believe. They are still laying though. All I have read says they usually stop during molt. Is this normal? Some are missing some patches of feathers now in areas. It has been a slow process I have noticed over the last few weeks. They are also being very grumpy with each other which I read is common. I am switching them over to a flock raiser feed with higher protein to help them with the molt. My question is...if they are still laying during molt..how do I know when to switch back to their layer crumbles/they are done molting for good? I am supplementing oyster shell apart from feed. I don't want to switch back too early since they need the protein. Hopefully they finish quickly because pretty darn cold here in Indiana now! Thank you!
I feed Flock Raiser year round with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.

I just have layers so have done layer crumbles the whole time. They are now turning a year and a half hence the molting. Poor babies.
Right. But when they do stop laying over winter or if their molt is so hard that makes them stop, they don't need the extra calcium from layer feed. So keeping them on a higher protein feed with oyster shell on the side is a great way to feed all the time.

Right. But when they do stop laying over winter or if their molt is so hard that makes them stop, they don't need the extra calcium from layer feed. So keeping them on a higher protein feed with oyster shell on the side is a great way to feed all the time.
I gotcha. Wouldn't be so bad to do all the time but the flock raiser feed is at least double the price for me. Maybe my girls will take a break this winter. Last winter they didn't at all. Mine have been picking at the oyster shell and hopefully the ones who need are eating. This morning it was a crowd of them around the oyster shell lol. That whole if one is interested the others have to check it out thing.

My question is...if they are still laying during molt..how do I know when to switch back to their layer crumbles/they are done molting for good? I am supplementing oyster shell apart from feed. I don't want to switch back too early since they need the protein. Hopefully they finish quickly because pretty darn cold here in Indiana now! Thank you!
You can switch back to a Layers feed when they are done molting/fully feathered with their new feathers. Best to switch back gradually over a week to 10 days.
Don't be surprised if you get a few thin shelled/soft shelled eggs as they figure out they need consume more shells.
This morning it was a crowd of them around the oyster shell lol.
Sounds like they have adjusted.
One of my Barred Rocks has been in a rapid molt. 20191104_125959_resized.jpg
Hopefully they finish quickly because pretty darn cold here in Indiana now!
Yeah, it's cold here too, this morning was coldest so far this season. 20191109_063804.jpg . 12 F. GC

You can switch back to a Layers feed when they are done molting/fully feathered with their new feathers. Best to switch back gradually over a week to 10 days.
Don't be surprised if you get a few thin shelled/soft shelled eggs as they figure out they need consume more shells.

Sounds like they have adjusted.
One of my Barred Rocks has been in a rapid molt.View attachment 1955637

Yeah, it's cold here too, this morning was coldest so far this season.View attachment 1955638. 12 F. GC
Thank you! Yeah, this is my first time seeing them molt. I guess I just feel like I won't know when done molting lol. Sounds weird but they aren't losing a lot-just a few here or there on ground that I see- and are still laying well. Some missing some patches and some not. Just have to wait it out. Was trying to stock up for feed for winter-trying to decide what kind to get most of. Lots of articles say 8 to 12 weeks..some say 16 etc for molt.

I feel like mine just make a mess with the oyster shell mostly lol. I am sure some eat but not all as they like to leave on ground.

Aww, hope she is done soon too! Our weather has been our usual Indiana weather..crazy lol. Some days freezing temps and wind advisories etc and then today the high is supposed to be around 55. Then we are supposed to be at 22 with a low of 9 after...nuts lol.

Back
Top Bottom