How long to feed flock raiser to molting chickens

Surprisingly, my feed store sells game bird feed (21% protein) for quite a bit less per bag (same size bag) than they sell layer feed (7% protein and shockingly NO calcium) and chick feed (8% protein and only available medicated). Scratch here is 5% protein and actually looks very nice, as it's whole grains instead of mystery powder, but I haven't bought any in a long while. I am guessing that they grind the blend of game bird feed for quail farmers and what's left over gets bagged up for we-the-little-guy... would explain why when it's gone, it's gone... and reduced price just to move it off of the shelf before it's nothing more than bug food.
Wow. My layer crumbles that they are doing great on has 16% protein and is usually on sale for 9 or 10 dollars for 50 lbs. Chick starter I got at another store when they were babies was like 20 a bag and only had medicated. The scratch I get is 8% protein and 9 or 10 dollars for a 50 lb bag.

Wow now that’s some awfully low protein levels compared to what is here state side. I wonder why? It’s not like the requirements for chickens change drastically depending on boards.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I've been unable to get a straight answer from the feed store on why. It is what it is, and I have learned to work around the problem.

Now that they are almost all acting like they want to lay I put more layer than flock. My other flock I do mostly flock than layer. Just depends how many are laying.
That is why I was so torn about how to mix/supplement. My girls are pretty much all laying. I have 9 and still getting 7-9 eggs daily. Maybe I should put the flock raiser on the side instead of the oyster shell...and keep feeding mostly layer. Just wanted to make sure covered on protein since losing feathers. Thanks!

That is why I was so torn about how to mix/supplement. My girls are pretty much all laying. I have 9 and still getting 7-9 eggs daily. Maybe I should put the flock raiser on the side instead of the oyster shell...and keep feeding mostly layer. Just wanted to make sure covered on protein since losing feathers. Thanks!
They do sell a feather fixer feed you could mix with the layer feed if you are concerned. I have not looked into what is in the feather fixer.

Dang thank goodness I never broke down and bought it! Thanks.
Yeah, 'Feather Fixer' is a marketing ploy/scam and a pet peeve of mine.
When it first came out it claimed to kill mites/lice too, with a proprietary ingredient.
It came to light that the special ingredient was sulfur...they stopped claiming the pest protection on the front of the bag and in their ads.
Good to learn to read the fine print on feed bags, and what your birds really need.

Back
Top Bottom