How long to keep chicks on chick feed before switching to laying feed?

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
My chicks are now 8 weeks old. They have been eating the chick feed since I got them. At what point do I switch to giving them "laying feed" , or is there a "pullet feed" that is for pullets in between chick and layer feed?

I had read to keep them on chick feed until 16-18 weeks. This is also what my feed store told me is usually done. I also have scratch that I throw out for them every day.

Your chicks can move on to flock raiser and then you can start layer feed when they are around 16+ weeks old. Feeding layer too young can cause organ damage that may not be apparent early on. It's the high calcium content.

Feed companies publish a feed schedule chart, either on the back of the bag or on their website. Layer feed is laced with high calcium. Until a chick is actually laying, this high calcium level serves no purpose. Young chicks fed a high calcium level, for prolonged periods of time, are subject to renal damage, which cannot be seen from the outside.

x3 with Sumi and Willow.

I would wait until they are laying to switch to a layer feed. Too much calcium has serious long term health effects on non laying birds. You can switch to a grower or flock raiser at this point and add some calcium on the side as they get older so they can eat it only if needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom